Q. What does my blood report for autoimmune disease show?

Dr. Tarek Algamal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I received CBC and CMP blood test results. Info points to kidney issues but dismissed as nothing by my doctor. I would like your opinion. Key points outside normal range: WBC 12.66, hematocrit 45, eosinophils .5, absolute neutrophils 8.76, absolute monocytes .91, BUN 26, creatinine 1.4, calcium 10.6, EGFR 58.29. Note that tests were performed for autoimmune disease.

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Attached investigations do not show evidence of autoimmune condition (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But it shows some impairment in kidney functions as GFR is lower than normal and creatinine is 1.4. This could be an effect of longstanding hypertension or due to another factor. My opinion is to investigate this renal impairment further by doing the albumin/creatinine ratio in urine and kidney ultrasound. Make sure you are hydrated well and try to lose weight as osteoarthritis may come also from obesity.

| 

Please suggest some measures to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, From last two years we are trying to conceive and recently my wife had SM test. The result of the prolactin blood test is 9.89 ng/mL and TSH is 2.84. The FSH result is 6.83 mlU/mL. Also the luteinizing hormone range is 3.83 mlU/ml and right ovary adnexal is 38 mm x 24 mm. Please explain ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take medicine for ankylosing spondylitis whole life?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 now. When I was in 14 years old, a severe hip joint pain started and the doctor diagnosed it as septic arthritis and operated right hip joint to remove fluid. Then the pain was gone. After three years, again pain started and I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis by ...  Read Full »

Should I get a bone marrow biopsy to rule out possible MPN?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49-year-old female who has chronic health problems going back for awhile. Originally, I was told I had lupus but now I am beginning to think it is something else. Nine months back, I consulted an orthopedic surgeon due to suspected necrosis in left hip, after an arthrogram was don...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now