Q. I get mucus in throat with bronchitis which aggravates during cold season. Why?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan

I am a 28-year-old male. I am having mucus collected in my throat region for almost two weeks now. As long as I remember, maybe from 10 years or so, I have been suffering from this condition which some have called bronchitis, dust allergy, etc. Any change in weather, any perception of dust, any smoke and fragrance from vehicles, agarbattis, powders or scents, exposure to cold and cold items cause this secretion of mucus in my throat area. It usually is just a mucus collection in my throat for days together. Usually, no cough or fever or throat pain or running nose. The collection is more in the morning after I wake up from sleep. The condition is more prevalent in cold weather. I was outside of my home town for a few years but did not face this issue as much as I do it when I am visiting my home town. I want a permanent solution for this. I have not undergone any major tests or anything for this problem. It is more like visiting a local doctor when symptoms occur and take medicines for infection. I am taking Montek FX (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) and Flomist nasal spray from 10 days. While the condition has improved, I am still not back to the normal and I still can feel the mucus is sitting in my throat region. Kindly help.

#

After going through your query, it seems you are suffering from allergic bronchitis. Usually, this condition is precipitated only if you are exposed to the particular allergens called triggers. Also, environmental pollution makes the situation more worse. As you said, it is very obvious that symptoms recur in your home town but never appeared in other places where you stayed. So it is very important to find out the particular trigger in our surroundings and avoid outside pollution as much as possible.

To rule out any other pathology and possibility of asthma, it is advisable to do a chest x-ray and spirometry test. If the reports suggest the possibility of asthma then there is a need to start an anti-inflammatory inhaler called controllers. Expectorants work magically in any kind of bronchitis and help in expelling the thick mucus out. Allergen avoidance remains the main priority.

You can continue tablet Montek-Fx and Flomist nasal spray. Rest of the medicines as follows.

Environmental pollution and allergic triggers.

Chest x-ray, spirometry test.

Asthma.

Allergy.

Tablet Loxof 500 mg (Levofloxacin) daily once for five days, TusQ-X 10 ml 1-1-1 for seven days. Continue Montek-Fx and Flomist nasal spray.

Avoid environmental pollution and known allergic triggers.

Well, I did get this problem outside my home town also, but it was not this recurrent or persistent. I do not know when I can get back to you with the reports given the lockdown situation. Also, the local doctor who prescribed Montek FX said it was some rhinitis. He had also suggested a skin prick test. Are these conditions the same?

#

Yes, as I said earlier it can be coexistent allergic rhinitis and bronchitis which cause recurrent on and off symptoms. Skin prick test can help you to pinpoint the allergic trigger. Once we know it, avoiding it should be the first priority. Also, there is no urgency for doing tests as it is not an emergency.Until then just continue the same medicines as prescribed.

Allergy.

Skin prick allergy test. Chest x-ray. Spirometry test.

Avoid pollution as much as possible.

|