Q. I cough every night, which gets better after taking Cetirizine. What should I do?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020
I have a cough and the mucus is white.
Every night i suffer this kind of situation.
I have a background medical records and the doctor said that i was allergic to dust and cold beverages.
But i dont think that i am allergic to dust because i dont have any symptoms of it.
Every night i take cetirizine because it works everytime i take it the cough stop. But im scared that it might be worst.
What should i do?
#

You are probably having what we call as an allergic pharyngitis, avoid spicy oily and junk food altogether for a few days. Yes dust can be one reason why your nose/throat might be creating a lot of phelgm, sometimes even dust at home(as in when u vaccum or mop the floor or look into old stuff having dust ) can lead to such issues. Besides, even the slightest of acidity can be one hidden cause. In allergic pharyngitis you won't have many tel a tale signs except of mucus irritating your throat. Advice 1.Have simple food with least spices 2.Avoid dust at all costs, wear an n95 mask, cuz that's the only thing effective against dust 3. Consider salt water gargles (one glass of boiled warm water with 2 tsps of salt, dissolve and gargle 4. Keep sipping on warm water 5. Long term use of levocetrizine is not recommended 6. Start an antireflux treatment with tab pantaprazole 40 MG once a day in the morning 25mins before bfast.

| 

I sneeze a lot due to dust allergy. What is the best solution for curing my sneezing and cold?

Query: Hi, I sneeze a lot due to dust allergy. And the allergy then leads to cold. What is the best solution for curing my sneezing and cold?  Read Full »

What are the long-term health risk of living in a wet and moldy area?

Query: Hello doctor,For many months, we lived in an apartment that was wet and moldy (both black mold and white or gray mold). First, can you tell me what the long-term health risks might be? And also, could the strep throats a family member began having been connected to it?  Read Full »

Why am I having allergy with green mucus during coughing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from dust allergies since childhood and use Foracot 200 and Montair 10 in case I have an episode. From 3 to 4 days, I am having an episode but it is not getting better. Also, I am coughing green mucus (seems like small dots). Does it mean that I have an infection? P...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now