Q. I am allergic to cold air. How can I get it treated?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 27, 2019

I have cold air allergy problem. I cannot stay in an AC environment, like airport, theaters, restaurant, buses, even if I cover my mouth and ear. If I wait for a few hours, I get a cough and feel unwell. If I stay more, then I get a headache. I have been taking medicines which includes Chlorpheniramine Maleate (2 mg), Paracetamol(500 mg), Phenylephrine (10 mg) which giving little relief but not that much.

Is there any way like a special mask or any medicines which can allow me in such places temporary? This is causing me big trouble when I go out for a journey. Apart from that, I have cold drinks and food allergy too. I get a cough, but I can prevent it by not having them.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

What do precisely your symptoms are? Do you have any nasal problem or breathing trouble, any wheezing? Do you get the same sign when you get exposed to smoke or dust? Since when are you having the symptoms. Have you taken any inhalers and if so have you found relief?

Symptoms are when I inhale cold AC air, allergy reaction starts. I feel little unwell, getting a little cough, pain in the head which increases as I stay longer in AC and my nose getting jammed a little. No wheezing problem. No problem when getting exposed to smoke and dust. My nose is little sensitive, so I do not like smoke and dirt, but it is not giving any reaction yet.

I am having these issues from the past two years, which got increased throughout time. I took an only regular inhaler, but it is giving minor relief only. I take medicine which includes Chlorpheniramine Maleate (2 mg), Paracetamol (500 mg), Phenylephrine (10 mg). I think it is making my nose blocked so any decongestants inhaler will help? If yes, please suggest. I need to take it only when I go out for a journey. Not in daily life, so I need a good one. And if possible without antihistamine as it is making me sleepy.

#

You seem to be having allergic rhinitis. The medicine you are taking is not appropriate for that. Nasal decongestants like Otrivin (Xylometazoline) and Nasivion (Oxymetazoline) serve to act during infective colds and nasal congestion, whereas allergic congestion needs an anti-inflammatory medicine like steroid nasal sprays. Allergic sprays need to be taken for a long term and do not function on an SOS basis.

You can try antihistamines which produce very less sleep like Bilastine, Ebastine, and Fexofenadine during such episodes. However long term relief will be obtained by steroid nasal sprays like Fluticasone and Mometasone. One needs to factor in vasomotor rhinitis as well. One should have a baseline investigation of nasal endoscopy and computed tomography of sinuses.

Can antibiotics be given to a 3.5 month old baby for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3.5 month old baby is suffering from slight cold and cough for the past 15 days. The doctor suggested antibiotic syrup 3 ml twice daily. Xpect PD cough syrup 2.5 ml twice daily and Sinarest AF 10 drop twice daily. His weight is 7 kg now. When I am trying to give him cough syrup he is ...  Read Full »

Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full »

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now