Q. Can pine tree pollen cause swollen throat?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

The symptoms I have are bad cold or strep throat, itchy eyes and throat but no cough. I do not have tonsils, but seems like there is a whitish puffiness on one side of my throat. It started five days ago and it has been getting mildly worse since then. I have been loading up on fruits, vegetables, preventative vitamins, raw garlic and even tried a saline sinus rinse. I just moved to a place where it is very dry and I am used to very humid climate. I have never had hay fever or sinus issues or been affected by pollen. Am I sick? Or is this a severe reaction to the blanket of green pine pollen all over the town? Can pine tree pollen cause swollen throat, earache and headache only on one side of my face?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• As you have told that the symptoms started only after exposure to pine pollens, it is most likely that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis (seasonal).
  • It usually presents with the typical symptoms as in your case.
  • The best way is to prevent the exposure and stay away from those pollen grains.
  • For symptomatic relief, you can take tablet Montelukast and Levocetirizine combination, one tablet at night for 10 days.
  • If stuffy and running nose still continues, then you can try Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily in each nostril.
  • Whatever home treatment you had taken are only symptomatic and for time being. It will not help in long run.
  • So, start these medicines as early as possible and prevent further exposure to pollens.
  • Maintain warm environment at home which will be soothing and will lessen the sufferings.

Revert back to an allergy specialist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|