Q. Can pine tree pollen cause swollen throat?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

The symptoms I have are bad cold or strep throat, itchy eyes and throat but no cough. I do not have tonsils, but seems like there is a whitish puffiness on one side of my throat. It started five days ago and it has been getting mildly worse since then. I have been loading up on fruits, vegetables, preventative vitamins, raw garlic and even tried a saline sinus rinse. I just moved to a place where it is very dry and I am used to very humid climate. I have never had hay fever or sinus issues or been affected by pollen. Am I sick? Or is this a severe reaction to the blanket of green pine pollen all over the town? Can pine tree pollen cause swollen throat, earache and headache only on one side of my face?

#

• As you have told that the symptoms started only after exposure to pine pollens, it is most likely that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis (seasonal).
  • It usually presents with the typical symptoms as in your case.
  • The best way is to prevent the exposure and stay away from those pollen grains.
  • For symptomatic relief, you can take tablet Montelukast and Levocetirizine combination, one tablet at night for 10 days.
  • If stuffy and running nose still continues, then you can try Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily in each nostril.
  • Whatever home treatment you had taken are only symptomatic and for time being. It will not help in long run.
  • So, start these medicines as early as possible and prevent further exposure to pollens.
  • Maintain warm environment at home which will be soothing and will lessen the sufferings.

Revert back to an allergy specialist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|