Q. Had an allergy blood test. Are the numbers ranging between 0 and 0. 75 kU/L normal?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I just got results back from an allergy blood test. My specific allergy numbers ranged from 0 to 0.75 kU/L. My total IgE is 241 IU/mL. Does this total number indicate anything? Is the number high or low?

#

Let me help you. The IgE value is within normal limits. Moreover, the total serum IgE values are not very indicative, rather specific IgE levels are important. Specific IgE levels should be inferred in relation to the particular allergen. Each allergen level may be different. Currently, the most accepted form of testing allergy is the skin prick testing which is the gold standard. We do specific IgE blood tests only on those patients in whose skin prick test is contraindicated like pregnant ladies, etc.

Your specific IgE levels need to be assessed in relation to the allergen. Can you share with us the whole report? Can you describe your symptoms to us? Have you had this problem since long? What medicines are you currently on? Are your problems seasonal or perennial? Is there breathing trouble or skin problems also?

I have attached my report. Symptoms include an earache that feels deep on the left side (it does not feel like a regular swimmer's earache). The eustachian tube on the left side is almost always closed (alleviated by holding breath and blowing). Extreme back of mouth sometimes feels sore on the left side. An allergic shiners under both eyes (light purple color, very puffy). Fluid behind ear drum on both sides, worse on the left side. An occasional tickle in the throat causes a cough that is usually dry but not always. When waking up in the morning, nose and throat feels more congested and often have yellow or green phlegm (usually not much, though). Eyes feel heavy like I want to sleep even though I am not sleepy. Most of these symptoms have been ongoing for about seven years. I do not believe this is seasonal because it constantly occurs every day and every month. I do not believe there are skin problems.

#

Your symptoms correlate with allergic rhinitis and it is sequelae. Most probably you have a sensitivity to perennial allergens like molds, house dust mites, and animal dander. Dermatophagoides are house dust mite species and they are commonly found in carpets, curtains, upholsteries, soft toys, pillows, beddings inside the house. You need special measures to get rid of them. You have allergen free material with which you can get these stuff stitched or remade. Washing these in water of 50-degree centigrade after keeping them immersed in that temperature for an hour can remove the mites and their droppings. Molds need moisture for growth. Make sure your house interior humidity is not more than 40 %. Check air-conditioner filters and recirculated air. Animal danders can be avoided by best removing the pet from the house. Do you have any pet inside your house?

|