Q. I did not get periods from eight months and I am always fatigued. Is my blood disorder the cause?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

I am a 19-year-old female. I am always fatigued. I have not got my periods for around eight months now. I went to my gynecologist and done a lot of blood tests. She also gave me Provera to trigger my period but still, I did not get it. Several blood test results were abnormal. I have a history of blood clots in the family (DVT, PE, Death). The blood tests showed I have multiple Thrombophilias (AT III deficiency, antiphospholipid AB+, low protein S, and lupus anticoagulant). My lab numbers were either extremely low or high. Is it normal for someone to have four blood disorders? What is the treatment for this? Should I be concerned? Also, would this cause me not to have periods? Would it cause extreme fatigue?

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are not having four different blood disorders as shown in your reports but they come under thrombochek panel where there is a defect in coagulation of blood. It is an autoimmune disorder in which there are various infarcts in the system and you have a strong family history as well. You need to be thoroughly investigated for this and treated and I think your doctor is right after this and getting all the tests done. Usually, it affects pregnancy and a major cause of recurrent miscarriages if not treated in time.

The reason for extreme fatigue and not having periods may be due to anemia only. However, you should also get thyroid profile done and rule out PCOD (polycystic ovary disease) which is very common in teens. Also, get a hormone profile done. If no periods with progesterones alone then, there is a risk of giving estrogens to you. This is a matter of concern and needs evaluation.

|