Q. I have rectal bleeding on and off for a year. Should I ask for colonoscopy?

Answered by Dr. Noushif M and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Anal Bleeding or Colonoscopy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 32-year-old female. For almost a year, I have had rectal bleeding on and off. I started to have painful bowel movements and then I began to bleed. The blood is on my stool, in the toilet (at times) and when I wipe, I can see it on the toilet paper. Other symptoms I experience are rectal itching and discomfort after my bowel movement. I went to the ER and they did a CT scan and did not see anything out of the normal. The doctor did a rectal examination and did not see any hemorrhoids at the time. After a month or so, I went to see my primary care physician and he said during my rectal examination, he had seen grade-1 hemorrhoids. The bleeding continues. It only happens every now and then. Being that, it has been so long I am just concerned it could be something else (cancer). Should I ask for a colonoscopy?