Q. I have rectal bleeding on and off for a year. Should I ask for colonoscopy?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Apr 30, 2018

I am a 32-year-old female. For almost a year, I have had rectal bleeding on and off. I started to have painful bowel movements and then I began to bleed. The blood is on my stool, in the toilet (at times) and when I wipe, I can see it on the toilet paper. Other symptoms I experience are rectal itching and discomfort after my bowel movement. I went to the ER and they did a CT scan and did not see anything out of the normal. The doctor did a rectal examination and did not see any hemorrhoids at the time. After a month or so, I went to see my primary care physician and he said during my rectal examination, he had seen grade-1 hemorrhoids. The bleeding continues. It only happens every now and then. Being that, it has been so long I am just concerned it could be something else (cancer). Should I ask for a colonoscopy?

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

If the doctor who did the PR examination could not find any significant hemorrhoids, it is better to get a colonoscopy done. Do not worry about cancer as the most likely possibility is a missed internal hemorrhoid.

The itching can be due to perianal soiling, fungal infection, or worm infestation.

Keep the area dry and clean. I suggest having a single dose of Albendazole 400 mg tablet. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent.

You can take a picture of the perianal region and look for skin damage.

Do review with your reports if you have any further queries.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I have anal itching, pain and bleeding. I am embarrassed. Please help.

Query: Hi,I am approaching you since I am concerned about a situation regarding which I am very embarrassed.  I am a 43 year old female. I am normally healthy. I am 178cm tall and I weigh 75kg.  Around 9-12 months ago, I started to suffer from anal itching. It is rather intense at night, after passing s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your entire history and have understood your concern. I also understand your hesitation in discussing your problems with anyone. Coming to your complaints, the anal bleeding, pain, itching are all due to trauma to the anus and anal canal. The anal canal is physio...  Read Full

Please suggest an ointment for anal pain and bleeding.

Query: Hi doctor, I had anal bleeding and pain for a year. My doctor said that it is just because of a small crack at rectal opening and there is nothing to worry. He has given a cream for anal fissure and one tonic for stool smoother to reduce pain while going to the bathroom. It cured me completely in tw...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As like any other cuts on your skin, anal fissure does heal by itself within weeks. Though, help is often required due to pain and bleeding. The first important rule for management is to treat constipation with stool bulk forming agents or laxatives like syrup Duphalac ...  Read Full

What are the treatment options for Internal Hemorrhoids?

Query: Hello doctor, I could feel a lump near my anus from around 5th of December. About 3-4 days back it burst and I could see blood coming out while cleaning after passing stools.Now the bleeding has reduced, but I can still see blood oozing while I wipe the area with a tissue.I was diagnosed with i...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In this type of hemorrhoids (internal hemorrhoids), we first give medical treatment and if the condition does not improve, then we can consider for endoscopy and surgical treatment. Advice: Take high fibre diet in the form of plenty of salads, fruits and v...  Read Full