Q. I have rectal bleeding on and off for a year. Should I ask for colonoscopy?

Dr. Noushif. M
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 18, 2022

I am a 32-year-old female. For almost a year, I have had rectal bleeding on and off. I started to have painful bowel movements, and then I began to bleed. The blood is on my stool, in the toilet (at times), and when I wipe, I can see it on the toilet paper. Other symptoms I experience are rectal itching and discomfort after my bowel movement. I went to the ER, and they did a CT scan and did not see anything out of the normal. The doctor did a rectal examination and did not see any hemorrhoids at the time. After a month or so, I went to see my primary care physician, and he said during my rectal examination, he had seen grade-1 hemorrhoids. The bleeding continues. It only happens every now and then. Being that it has been so long, I am just concerned it could be something else (cancer). Should I ask for a colonoscopy?

#

If the doctor who did the PR examination could not find any significant hemorrhoids, it is better to get a colonoscopy done. Do not worry about cancer, as the most likely possibility is a missed internal hemorrhoid. The itching can be due to perianal soiling, fungal infection, or worm infestation.

Keep the area dry and clean. I suggest having a single dose of Albendazole 400 mg tablet. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine with their consent.

You can take a picture of the perianal region and look for skin damage.

Do review your reports if you have any further queries.

|