Q. Had alcohol after 30 days of Polyethylene glycol intake. Will it lead to any adverse reaction?

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

I was given with Polyethylene glycol for 40 days before undergoing endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures. I had symptoms of edema and consumed 200 ml of alcohol before seven days. Can I have possible adverse reactions?

#

Please explain about the purpose for doing colonoscopy and endoscopy. Edema can occur due to many reasons. It can occur due to nutritional deficiency.

I underwent endoscopy and colonoscopy for a routine checkup. I had symptoms of gastritis for about a month. I also underwent polypectomy for a non-cancerous growth of 1 cm during the procedure. I did not have a nutritional deficiency when I was diagnosed with fatty liver.

I received an H influenza vaccination on the same day of endoscopy and colonoscopy. I started to have a bloating in the abdomen from the day after the procedure with water retention in the arms, legs, and back.

Water retention got improved and extended to the lower abdomen after 40 days when I consumed 200 ml of alcohol. Excess water present in the body released excess gas in the gastric system. Currently, I am experiencing nausea, jaundice, and swollen liver. It got subsided, and it got improved again.

Whether PEG medication remaining in the body cause any adverse reaction along with alcohol? My recent blood gas tests showed low alkaline phosphatase levels and carbon dioxide. My main concern is toxicity and metabolic acidosis with harmful effects. Please suggest.

#

As your question is about Polyethylene glycol, so I will tell you about Polyethylene glycol. It increases the bowel movements, and so it is used for constipation. It is also used in endoscopy procedures, as in your case. Side effects are diarrhea and nausea. You have taken it before 40 days, and it will be washed out from the body already. So, there is no adverse reaction or relation present along with alcohol consumption.

But the major problem in your case is edema. It looks like ascites, secondary to liver disease. If you have done a liver function test or kidney function test along with endoscopy, you can send it. It will be better to help you more. Stop drinking alcohol, as it can cause adverse effects on the body.

|