Q. I have receding hairline with overall thinning on the scalp. Please help.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I have receding hairline with overall thinning on the scalp for the past one month. Kindly help.

#

From history it seems you have androgenetic alopecia (AGA) also known as male pattern baldness. In AGA, hair thinning and hair fall occurs with receding frontal hair line and thinning on top of scalp that is vertex. AGA has seven grades and treatment partially depends on grade.

Now as AGA occurs due to underlying genetic and hormonal components, we need to start treatment for long term to prevent hair thinning and promote hair growth.

Take tablet Hair Revive two tablets together daily in the morning with breakfast for two months, 10% minoxidil + Finasteride lotion apply 1 ml daily at night on the scalp for two months.

We might need to add more medicine depending on the grade, so I would request you to please share a photo with me so I can assess the grade.

The hairline has gone 2 cm back than where it was initially at. According to the charts, I would say I am at stage 1 of the hair fall. It seems to look full, but actually, there is some recession. I am not able to capture properly as I have bad lighting. Also, I have heard that both Minoxidil and Finasteride form lifelong dependence and once I stop them, I would lose more hair than initial. Is this true? And if it is what can I do to keep my hair and prevent androgenic alopecia? There is also some thinning on scalp.

#

Androgenetic alopecia is a condition that occurs due to genetic and hormonal components. In males with AGA, scalp has hypersensitive androgen receptors that are why hair thinning occurs. It is a chronic progressive condition so without treatment hair thinning will continue because we cannot cure androgenetic alopecia's root cause because it is genetic but with treatment, we can suppress its progression.

So when you stop treatment hair fall does not increase but because of AGA you see increased hair after stopping treatment. Also, Minoxidil and Finasteride do not cause dependence. Now you have AGA grade 2, so the treatment I prescribed is sufficient. But treatment should continue for a long term and you will see visible improvement after four to five months.

Take Hair revive two tablets daily after breakfast for three months, capsule Vitamin D3 60000 units one capsule once a week for two months, apply Minoxidil 10% + Finasteride combination lotion 1 ml daily at night for three months.

Take treatment regularly, do not worry hair thinning will stop and you will see the growth with treatment.

Follow up in 3 months.

|