Q. What is the treatment followed to treat androgenetic alopecia?

Dr. Deepti Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 25 years old and I am suffering from a rapid receded hairline due to male pattern baldness genetically. My father has it. What is the best treatment option followed to reduce it? I care about it and it has affected my confidence. I do not know what to do. I wear my hair long on the top to cover it.

#

I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you have male pattern baldness called androgenetic alopecia (AGA). It is a common cause of hair loss in males and it occurs due to underlying genetic and hormonal components. AGA is a chronic progressive genetic condition and without treatment, there is continuous hair thinning and hair fall. With treatment, it can be stopped and hair growth can be promoted. I will start proper treatment and it will continue for the long term and so please be patient with the treatment. I want further information about you. Please mention whether you are married, if you are married, do you have kids, any thyroid disease, or any family member has it, and do you have active hair loss. You can use T hair fact for three months and it is a good multivitamin for hair. You can use Minoxidil 10 % lotion on the scalp and apply 1 ml at night for three months. You can take tablet Finasteride and it helps to control hair thinning.

|