Q. I am having inflammation on face after a dog bite. Do I need vaccination?

Dr. Tamas Das

40 days back while I was walking on the road and unaware of a sleeping dog beside me I stepped on it and it had bitten me. After, reaching my home after 15 minutes I washed my leg and I have not found any blood wound but firing type feeling was there and later I met one physician doctor after a week and he told that I do not need any vaccination for this but after a few days I have felt the inflammation through ears and I have informed him and he told me that it happened 20 days back and you are looking extremely good. If you are really affected you will not be like this. But, now I have the inflammation and itching on my face and toothache today too. If these are the symptoms of the dog bite, please let me know and suggest which medication can I get.

#

From your history, it seems like the dog just brushed against your leg. If so, then it is a category 1 wound and requires no vaccination other than local wound cleaning with soap and water. However, if there was a visible scratch (even without bleeding) then it is category 2 and might need vaccination. Rest assured, the symptoms on your face and tooth are not related to rabies. Take some pain-killers and it might clear on its own. Do let me know if you have any further doubts regarding this.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|