Q. I am having inflammation on face after a dog bite. Do I need vaccination?

Dr. Tamas Das
Published on Aug 08, 2018

40 days back while I was walking on the road and unaware of a sleeping dog beside me I stepped on it and it had bitten me. After, reaching my home after 15 minutes I washed my leg and I have not found any blood wound but firing type feeling was there and later I met one physician doctor after a week and he told that I do not need any vaccination for this but after a few days I have felt the inflammation through ears and I have informed him and he told me that it happened 20 days back and you are looking extremely good. If you are really affected you will not be like this. But, now I have the inflammation and itching on my face and toothache today too. If these are the symptoms of the dog bite, please let me know and suggest which medication can I get.

Dr. Tamas Das

Microbiology
#

From your history, it seems like the dog just brushed against your leg. If so, then it is a category 1 wound and requires no vaccination other than local wound cleaning with soap and water. However, if there was a visible scratch (even without bleeding) then it is category 2 and might need vaccination. Rest assured, the symptoms on your face and tooth are not related to rabies. Take some pain-killers and it might clear on its own. Do let me know if you have any further doubts regarding this.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full »

I took antirabies vaccine only 13 days after a shrew mouse bite. Am I at risk?

Query: Hello doctor,I had taken two antirabies shots ten and three months back for a dog bite. A shrew that had entered the house bit me on my back two weeks back. There was no bleeding even on applying pressure on the area, but the next day I noticed a small clot on my back like the one we have after a sc...  Read Full »

Snakebite - First Aid, Treatment, and Precautions

Article Overview: There are thousands of species of snakes and only a small percent of them are venomous. That is the sole reason why some people survive snake bites without taking antisera. Let us see what are the first aids and active management of a snake bite are. Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Snakes are deadly when they are venomous. They produce venom and consciously inject into the target to kill or immobilize them. Poisonous animals on the other hand, are dangerous by all means, sometimes even by mere touch. So snakes are not that fatal after all, but ruling out the fatal factors are ...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now