Q. What does normocytic normochromic RBC with anisocytosis mean?

I have normocytic normochromic RBC with anisocytosis.

Hematology Pathology
#

I can understand your concern. I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In the attached report lymphocyte count is high. The high lymphocytes are usually seen in viral Infection. There are other causes of lymphocytosis as well. But you need to repeat CBC (complete blood count) again after one week to check lymphocytes count. The peripheral smear finding is normal, so do not worry about any abnormal cells. However, revert back to me with repeat CBC after one week.

The size and hemoglobin content in red blood cells mentioned as normocytic normochromic. So do not worry about normochromic normocytic RBC which is absolutely normal.

| 

I was worried about the word anisocytosis. However, do you want me to take any iron supplements as I have read anisocytosis is anemia? And for sure, I will take the CBC on few days and get back to you.

Hematology Pathology
#

The word anisocytosis means variation in the size of red blood cells. Mild anisocytosis can be seen normally as well. If it is marked then iron supplement is needed. Marked anisocytosis is seen in iron deficiency anemia.

But in your case, it is mild and you have predominate normocytic means normal-sized RBC. So do not worry about anisocytosis. It is not a matter of concern if the hemoglobin level is normal. If you have a value of hemoglobin then attach that report. In your attached report Hb value not mentioned. I will check your lymphocytes count after a few days.

| 

I am attaching the full report and will repeat the test in a few days and will get back to you.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have checked your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your hemoglobin level and RBC are within range. So do not worry about anisocytosis. You are not having iron deficiency anemia. So do not start iron supplements. Do not worry about anisocytosis. Drink lots of water. Take healthy foods like green leafy vegetables and fruits more.

Our main concern is lymphocytes which will check after a few days.

| 

Will get back to you with reports in few days.

Hematology Pathology
#

Sure will answer as fast as possible whenever you post repeat CBC. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|