Q. I am diagnosed with anisopoikilocytosis. Do these misshapen cells pose any danger?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I am a 53 year old woman diagnosed with polycythemia vera (PV) three years ago. I am being treated with phlebotomy. I have fatigue at times, as well as some thinking impairment at times.

Over time I have developed various anomalies in my blood test results, which my doctor explained as normal.

For instance, I typically have 1+ Anisocytosis, 2+ Hypochromia and 2+ Microcytes. I have had occasional ovalocytes mentioned as well as large platelets and at times giant platelets.

My last CBC mentioned there were a few schistocytes.

My question is this: I understand that these are all blood cells that are misshapen due to the PV or to the chronic phlebotomies I receive.

Are these misshapen cells a danger in and of themselves, or are they only indicators of a problem?

How many weird cells can I have running around inside of me before it is worrisome?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query regarding polycythemia, my opinion is as follows:

Due to nutritional deficiencies, secondary to excessive RBC (red blood cell) production and also mild dyserythropoiesis (defective development of red blood cells), you can find microcytic hypochromic cells ( due to iron deficiency) and ovalocytes (due to vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency).

Vitamin B12 and folic acid can impact other cell line resulting in hypersegmented neutrophils and giant platelets also.

As there is iron deficiency, anisocytosis (unequal sized red cells) and poikilocytosis (abnormal shaped red cells) is seen. More the iron deficiency, more the percentage of anisopoikilocytosis.

Schistocytes (irregularly shaped red cells) could be due to marrow fibrosis or red cell trapping in fibrin fragments. The former usually occurs in marrow at a later stage of polycythemia vera. At present schistocytes could be due to dyserythropoiesis in marrow. No fibrin trapping can be thought of.

Things that need to be watched are - any reduced counts of red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets. This will occur before increase of schistocytes. Bone marrow fibrosis due to burning out phase will lead onto pancytopenia (deficiency of RBC, WBC and platelets) and schistocytes. As all other counts are normal, you need not worry about schistocytes for now.

Schistocytes percentage more than 5% or specifically 10% should be worrisome. It usually does not occur in PV, unless it is late stage and with marrow fibrosis and pancytopenia.

Revert back to a hematologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thank you for your detailed answer. It made things very clear to me and I feel a bit more relieved.

What treatment should I get according to my blood smear report?

Query: Hi doctor, My blood smear result showed RBC - microcytic normochromic with anisocytosis and poikilocytosis, WBC - normal with neutrophilic predominance. What treatment should I get?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: At this age, microcytic hypochromic anemia is often due to iron deficiency. Neutrophils could be increased due to stress or mild infection. There is nothing to worry, it is probably resolved and reducing as you have no fever....  Read Full

What is the treatment for high platelets count with mild anisopoikilocytosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is having high platelets count, diagnosed with mild anisopoikilocytosis, predominantly normocytic with ovalocytes (RBC), WBC mild leukocytosis is present, platelets: appear increased in the smear.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increased platelet count in your wife case seems to be due to reactive thrombocytosis. The iron deficiency anemia can lead to reactive thrombocytosis and so platelet count can be high. You need to treat her anemia with Ferrous Ascorbate tablet like medication for a...  Read Full

My hemoglobin count is low. Could it be due to my heavy menstrual flow?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from anemia for over 12 years now. I am very sure that within this time frame, my hemoglobin level has never been higher than 10 g/dL. Recently, my hemoglobin was at 7.1 g/dL. I have seen many doctors and have informed them of a family history of a kidney disease, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prasad Eswaran
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you forward your hemoglobin electrophoresis report to me? For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now