Q. When should I be concerned about the ankle clonus of my 2-month-old son?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

My two-month-old son has ankle clonus. When he is asleep, and I push on his foot, it sometimes goes over ten beats. When it happens on its own, it is much shorter. Is this something that should be further evaluated?

#

If you are getting more than ten beats of ankle clonus, please get the child evaluated physically by a pediatric neurologist. In such cases, based on physical examination, your child may require an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain or USG (ultrasonography) of the brain.

If the baby was seen by a pediatric neurologist and did not have other physical concerns, can it be normal? Or should we get a second opinion?

#

If there are no other physical concerns like the stiffness of the limbs or rigid movements or convulsions or abnormal postures, etc., you need not worry.

It may have been possible that what you experienced with the child was a one-off phenomenon and does not happen regularly or continuously.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I have one last question because we have not been back for a follow-up with a pediatric neurologist. When he is placed on his feet, he pushes hard on the surface and supports most of his weight. Is this a normal movement or reaction for his age? And the clonus is reproducible, pretty quickly when he is asleep and sometimes when awake. It seems to be less than it was at one point.

#

Yes, this reaction is quite normal for his age. However, as I mentioned, other things like the stiffness of the limbs or rigid movements or convulsions, or abnormal postures need to be seen.

|