Movement Disorder

When is ankle clonus abnormal in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My two-month-old son has ankle clonus. When he is asleep, and I push on his foot, it sometimes goes over ten beats. When it happens on its own, it is much shorter. Is this something that should be further evaluated?   Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are getting more than ten beats of ankle clonus, please get the child evaluated physically by a pediatric neurologist. In such cases, based on physical examination, your child may require an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain or USG (ultrasonography) of the b...  Read Full »

My fingers are forming knobs and hurt. Why is it so?

Query: Hello doctor, I have seen a rheumatologist and all my tests on autoimmune diseases are normal. He even ordered hand X-rays and they are normal. My fingers are forming knobs on them and hurt constantly. My movement is getting more and more limited. I can barely bend my affected fingers. I feel sick...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the markers for inflammatory arthritis are negative, then, the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome is there. I suggest you to start Pregabalin or Duloxetine to see the response which will be helpful in chronic fatigue syndrome. Consult with your specialist doc...  Read Full »

Why does my foot move up and down while lying down?

Query: Hello doctor, When I am lying down my foot moves. What it means is like my whole foot will move up and down (if this makes sense) sometimes my hips too. I cannot remember when this started to happen but it only happens when I lie down.  Read Full »

Dr. Murad Haider

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from hyperkinetic movement disorders. Many people who suffer from mild or moderate PLMS (periodic limb movements during sleep) can successfully manage their condition without medication. People often report that relaxation exercises like yoga o...  Read Full »

A 72-year-old has an uncontrollable shaking of his hand. How can it be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My father who is 72 years old has a problem of uncontrolled shaking of his right hand for the past three years. The problem has increased over the years and now he finds it difficult to hold the toothbrush also. Some works he can do without much difficulty like riding a scooter, sweep...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the symptoms you have described, your father likely has an "essential tremor." This is a very common neurological condition affecting 4% of the elderly population. Yes, it is not Parkinson' s disease but it has to be differentiated from Parkinson's di...  Read Full »