Q. Got sports injury with pain and inflammation in right ankle. Could it be fracture or sprain?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

My husband is an active person who plays badminton, football, and running regularly. He also attends the gym. He met with a sports injury in his right ankle. We thought that as a muscle sprain and kept icing. He recovered 80% in two days but used Volini or Oxalgin gel regularly. After some 20 days, he drove the car for around six hours. Then, he felt some pain and inflammation the next morning. We consulted an orthopedician here who recommended an x-ray and CT scan. I am attaching the reports here. Please let me know the further treatment.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

I have been through your reports. Your x-rays and CT are normal. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The point you have marked indicates the attachment of anterior talofibular ligament. So it could be a sprain of that ligament. Just do intrinsic muscle strengthening exercises. Could you please tell me that how many days have passed since the injury?

| 

The injury happened during the first week of last month. He drove the car for 6 hours and the x-ray and scan was the next day for pain and inflammation. The consultant doctor here suggested it as a healing fracture and advised ankle arthroscopy if the pain does not resolve. My husband has been using crepe bandage for the past 15 days, still, he has minor pain or pressure and some inflammation. Hence, we need an opinion on the x-ray, whether it is a fracture or sprain and how to proceed further?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

If we go by the x-rays only, then I could appreciate a fracture at the distal part of lateral malleolus. But the point you have marked does not correspond to that.

Well, even if it is a fracture, then we are not going to do anything. just do intrinsic foot exercises and you will definitely get benefit.

| 

I had a leg injury six months back. When will it heal?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a leg injury, six months back. On x-ray examination, they did not find any fracture. But there is difficulty in movement, and the doctor said that the anterior tibiofibular ligament is damaged. I used NSAIDs for a short period to avoid inflammation. I am also wearing crepe bandage...  Read Full »

I am 14, and I have lower back pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 14 years old. I wonder whether she has herniated disc. Because, she has all the symptoms except the numbness in legs and feet. It hurts in the lower part of my back. Usually a herniated disc is from sports injury and heavy lifting. But, she recently have not had any sports ...  Read Full »

I have pain and clicking of joints Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a joint pain with lots of clicking. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is only 1 or 2. But, the clicking is to the point where it is annoying. Also, my ankle hurts a lot for no apparent reason. I do not know if this is relevant, but my foot used to turn in.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now