Q. Can a sprained ankle remain swollen and painful even after three weeks?

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath

I had a sprain in my ankle three weeks ago. My ankle is still swollen slightly with mild pain and pressure. What is the issue?

Please let me know.

#

I understand your query.

Repeated sprain over the same area can lead to increased instability and increased inflammation. If you do not have much pain, but if the swelling is still present, you can take an oral and topical anti-inflammatory (over-the-counter anti-inflammatory) for one week. And also, have a cold compress over the affected area. Take food rich in vitamins and minerals and say hydrated. Take good rest. And you will be fine in a few days.

Take care.

Ankle injury.

Anti-inflammatory.

|