Q. Can I terminate my pregnancy if result comes positive for Down's syndrome?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Jan 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 27, 2019

I am in my late 6th month pregnancy. Recently I went for a scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies (TIFFA). All the reports were normal except hypoplastic nasal bone and higher normal values of amniotic fluid. I am approaching you for second consultation now. My questions are, what if we go for genetic amniocentesis and results were positive for Down's syndrome? Can I terminate the pregnancy in my 28th week of pregnancy? How much safe it is to go for amniocentesis test? Is there any alternate test to get better results? I decided not to have a baby who is mentally retarded. Please suggest me your valuable advice.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

1. We can better comment on the outcome after getting the results of the amniocentesis. Even if Down's syndrome, people usually go for keeping the fetus alive and they go for completion of pregnancy to the full term.
2. You may terminate anytime depending on where you opt in for this termination. I mean you need to have expert hands for that.
3. Amniocentesis is very widely done test all over the world and as for every diagnostic invasive procedure it has its own safety profile.
4. Risk of complications is always there as it is associated with invasive procedure. Again I want to add that if you opt in for the expert hands and a seasoned professional obstetricians and gynecologists and interventional radiologist then there is no to low risk for the baby and the mother.
5. Amniocentesis and karyotyping to rule out for genetic disorders that involve chromosomal anomalies is the best test universally. No other choice, as this is what we need to know next and this is the specific test available which may guide us about that.
6. It is your right to decide and it is solely you who can decide about your body as to what is better for you. Physician can only guide you about the procedures and the final decision is solely your own as to what should be done.

Will amniocentesis help to diagnose Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, A five month period of pregnancy has been completed for me. I had a screening test for Down's syndrome which came positive with a risk of 1:69. Should we need to do a diagnostic test which is amniocentesis? What will be the percentage after birth if the amniocentesis test is negative (It...  Read Full »

Is nasal bone length an indicator of Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My quadruple test is normal. After 23 weeks of gestation, I took an anomaly scan, which shows 3.6 mm nasal bone. Is the nasal bone underdeveloped? What are the chances of Down's syndrome? We do not want to get an amniocentesis test done as it increases the chance of miscarriage. Previous...  Read Full »