Q. Is facial an effective treatment for anti-aging?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Nov 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2019

I am a 31 year old female. Height is 5'3" and weight 71 kg. I have normal skin. I have started developing fine lines on my face. Just recently I have developed a slight depression in the form of a line starting from under the inner side of the eye running down the cheek (photo attached). I think this is the beginning of cheek sagging. Is this premature aging? Can this be reverted with non-invasive techniques like topical anti-aging serums, facials, massages or exercises?

Someone suggested me to use Retinol-A, which I have started using and is suiting me well. I have read a lot about the benefits of topical retinoid, vitamin E and C serum. Please suggest the best ones as I have heard that most of the available vitamin C serums in the market are useless as they oxidize easily and do not penetrate the skin. I have seen some videos of facial exercises online. Do you think they are effective? Also let me know how often should I get facials and which one is for anti-aging? I am also trying to put down weight. In this process I will naturally lose some fat from my face as well, but I do not want my facial skin to become loose. What should I do for this?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your details and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) carefully. I have the following suggestions for you which I am sure will specifically help you significantly in the long run.

1. Avoid sun exposure as best as you can.
  2. Make it a daily habit of using a sunscreen of SPF 35 or more twice a day, preferably at 10:00 AM and 01:00 PM.
  3. Retinol-A 0.025% will be a better option, to begin with for evening application. Go on building the duration of application starting with one hour daily and increasing by 5 minutes a day up to three to four hours. Always wash the cream before you go to bed.
  4. Diet should be rich in fresh fruits and vegetables to provide antioxidants and minerals.
  5. Cut down caffeinated drinks and enhance usage of cocoa products.
  6. For the time being, vitamin C may be deferred.
  7. Exercises are effective, but it is more beneficial to go for the whole body. Exercise in the form of brisk walking or whatever your peculiar conditions permit for.
  8. Weight reduction should go slowly. The effects of weight reduction will affect skin changes that vary from person to person and depend on many factors.
  9. Keratin peels are very effective measures for achieving the results as desired by you, but these can be considered to augment the effect of above-listed measures.

| 

Are facials effective as an anti-aging treatment? How often should I get them? I have never had any in my life till now. Also tell me whether it is possible or not to reduce this depression on my cheek by any means?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

#

I have reviewed your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) once again.

Facials basically are mainly effective because of the massage that accompanies the procedure. As these techniques are not standardized and vary widely between one provider to another, the results are unpredictable in short.

I advise my patients to perform facials by themselves and they are ever thankful for the advice. Most of the non-invasive wrinkle treatments would help in recovering from depressions. The frequency of massage can be in the range of fortnightly to every four weeks.

The guidelines that I have already given are highly probable to be effective for you. Best wishes and stay healthy.

| 

What is the right time to exercise?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an advice on what is the right time to exercise during the day? Let me tell you that currently, I can only manage to walk on the treadmill and do the cycling in the gym. So I have two options in terms of time. One, in the morning before the breakfast and the second one is in th...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for right-sided anterior pelvic tilt?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from an anterior pelvic tilt in the right. He is a bodybuilder and currently not able to do workouts since he has pain and numbness in both upper and lower sides of the body in the right region. He also has muscle imbalance because of that. We have consulted se...  Read Full »

I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.

Query: Hello Doctor, I am just fed up with my dark complexion. Please prescribe me some skin whitening product.  Read Full »

Ask a Cosmetologist Now