Q. I am doing good with anti-anxiety medicines, except sleepiness. What to do?

Answered by Dr. Manjunadh M Nair and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Anti Anxiety Drugs or Anxiety? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 47 year old male suffering from anxiety disorder and being treated for OCD specifically. A year ago, I was prescribed Zoloft 100 mg (Sertraline). But after three months I have transferred to Prozac 40 mg (Fluoxetine) together with Risperdal 0.5 mg (Risperidone). This has been going for the last nine months. I also take Micardis 80 mg (Telmisartan) and Lipitor 10 mg (Atorvastatin). I am less anxious, but I lately started sleeping too much and losing concentration and focus. It is affecting my studies a lot. I came back to university after 20 years. When I am awake, I will come up with any excuse to procrastinate my studies, and usually, end up spending hours on my OCD-related day dreaming and rituals.

A friend, who is a health professional, recommended Adderall to help me concentrate and fight the obsessive thoughts. I halved my Prozac dose to sleep less than my regular 9 to 10 hours hopefully. I took an appointment with my psychiatrist two weeks from now, but I have midterms next week.My GP trusts my judgment. I could probably see her sooner than my psychiatrist. Should I ask her about Adderall?