Q. Kindly suggest medications to prevent malaria.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

I am traveling to the Solomon Islands next week (assuming planes still flying). I am seeking malaria prevention medication. I will be there for two weeks (longer if the return flights are canceled). I am in good health. I am 77 years old, and I exercise daily. I take no medications except multivitamins, walk briskly two to three miles a day. No surgeries and implants.

#

You are doing a great job to preserve nature. It is better to take malaria prophylaxis while traveling to an endemic area. Among many regimens, I suggest you the following effective regimen:

Mefloquine 250 mg tablet to be taken weekly once. Start two weeks prior to the travel, continue during the travel and four weeks even after return to hometown. So, all these days the dosage will be 250 mg tablet weekly once.

Once this tablet gets over, then start Tablet Primaquine 15 mg. This tablet to be started from the next day of the last dose of Mefloquine for 14 days (two weeks), daily. [Buy 14 tablets of Primaquine]. This can destroy any dormant form of all types of malaria.

You please go ahead of your services, which should not be stopped because of malaria.

My goal was to get a prescription for anti-malarial medication. Can you write a prescription valid in the USA? Or less preferred but acceptable, can you write the prescription for the medication in the country you reside and have it express shipped to me here in the USA?

#

The online prescription system has been banned in India and I am not sure about USA. Unless we physically examine patients, physically present in the hospital, and document in the medical record, no prescriptions are to be provided. Moreover, abroad prescriptions are not valid in USA medical shops. Only physicians registered (practice) in the USA can provide prescription within US shops. Hence, we do not have a mechanism to give a real prescription in the letterhead. We are able to give only opinions or suggestions or clarify patients' doubts through online services. So, I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience.

To buy drugs online, prescriptions are not mandatory.

He is planning to travel the malaria-endemic area, hence requires prophylaxis.

Prophylaxis of malaria during travel to an endemic area.

Tablet Mefloquine 250 mg. Dispense 14 tablets of Mefloquine. Tablet Primaquine 15 mg. Dispense 14 tablets of Primaquine.
Instruction to the patient: Two weeks before, start one Mefloquine tablet orally, continue during the travel period at endemic area, again continue four more weeks even after the return from the endemic area. Throughout the period, one tablet of Mefloquine once in a week to be taken.
Start Primaquine next day onwards after the last dose of Mefloquine, one tablet per day for continuous 14 days.

| 

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)

Article Overview: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune condition, which results in widespread inflammation in the body. To know more about this condition, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Rheumatologist

What Is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus? Systemic lupus erythematosus or SLE is an autoimmune inflammatory disease and the most common type of lupus. It causes widespread inflammation of the skin, blood vessels, joints, and other organs. Genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors seem to cause this ...  Read Article

Can malaria elevate CPK value?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 70 years old, was admitted in a hospital for severe weakness, high fever (105 degrees Fahrenheit), shivering and lack of appetite. Blood tests revealed that he had malaria (Vivax) and a platelet count of 44,000, which is below normal. But, there was no dengue or typhoid....  Read Full »

My son vomited the first dose of malaria medicine. Shall I continue the medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, My son (2 years 8 months) was hospitalized due to fever along with a sand paper kind of rashes in the body for four days. He was suspected of dengue and the initial blood test showed IgG positive. Herewith I am attaching the discharge summary and all other reports. After getting discharge...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pharmacologist Now