Q. Do I need to have a rabies vaccine towards an unsure scratch ?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan
Published on May 10, 2018

Two days before a small puppy came and I am not sure whether he scratched me or not. There is no big mark on feet. But I have a very small cut in my hand. I have cleared my jeans with that hand. So I am doubtful my cut has come in contact with that place where puppy licks. Sir do I need to have an anti-rabies vaccine. As I have taken full five doses five months back.

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

Just take the first dose and second dose after three days. There is no need for five doses. The last dose was taken just a few months back. Anti-rabies antibodies will still persist in the body and provide immunity. But still, reexposure within one year requires two doses.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I consulted a doctor and he told me that no vaccine is needed within one year of having a complete course of five anti-rabies vaccines. So three days have passed and if I will take it tomorrow on the fourth day, is it not too late?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

Probably the exposure from the puppy is considered a very low risk. The doctor who examined you may have found no signs of injury. If so can avoid revaccination. Actually, most studies show a efficacy of five years. The second side revaccination is only for a double safety. If the examining doctor has told not to take, can avoid, do not worry.

If I start taking vaccine tomorrow on the fourth day, is it not too late sir?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

No harm. You can start tomorrow and then take a second dose after three days.

Please suggest a good diet to improve the immunity of a 9 months old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is almost 9 months now. She is gaining good weight and height. What should I include in her diet chart to boost immunity, height and make her complexion bright?¬†Please provide a good dietary solution.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Congratulations for having the little miracle. I guess she is breastfed. If that is correct, then she got plenty from her mom. Regarding the diet, the important point is to make sure that she gets all essential nutrients. Add diet rich in vitamin C, E and A, frui...  Read Full

Can an air purifier harm the natural immunity of a child?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 3-year-old daughter. I am planning to buy a non-ozone based air purifier for her. I want to know if an air purifier harms or impacts the natural immune system of a child?  Read Full >>

Dr. Abaranam
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Air purifiers are used for the purpose of filtration of particulate matters which are not filtered by the lungs. They actually purify the air and avoid the harmful dust. So, I suggest you can use.  However, consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or he...  Read Full

What can be done to improve immunity in 4 years kid?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 4 years and 2 months old. She develops a very bad cough and then along with fever in a day or two. She had a wheezing problem previously so the doctor had prescribed to give Budecort and Levolin puffs or nebulization. So every time when she develops this kind of a dry cou...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you say it is a dry cough, Levolin (Levosalbutamol sulfate) nebulization is not required. This could be allergic also. Also, children have a fever off and on. It could be viral till 5 years of age. After that, their immunity becomes well. Use glass thermometer and...  Read Full