Q. My puppy nipped me and it is not vaccinated yet. Should I get anti-rabies vaccine?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Dec 02, 2018

Do I need an anti-rabies vaccine, because my 2 and a half-month-old puppy nipped me? It is barely a bite but I cleaned it and no symptoms seem to show up, my puppy is not vaccinated yet because it is too young. I am 18 years old.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

If the bite was unprovoked and if it caused bleeding then you should get a course of anti-rabies vaccine plus a shot of tetanus immunoglobulin, to be on the safe side. Even though it is a pet, it is not immunized so the standard protocol is to get vaccinated if the above-mentioned factors are present. Also, wash the wound with soap and water thoroughly. If the skin was not broken and if the attack was provoked, then it is not necessary to get vaccinated. However, given the nil immunization status of your pet, you may want to be on the safe side and get the shots.

A pet dog bit me three years back. Can I take anti-rabies vaccine now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. Three years ago, a dog slightly bit my hand. The dog died 1.5 years after he bit me. It has been three years now, but I am worried as I heard that rabies appears after years. I did not take any medicine then. I ignored it because it was a pet dog. If I take anti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ehsan Samarbafzadeh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry with this situation as rabies is considered dangerous. The good news is that the dog that bit you probably did not have rabies as the progression of this disease is fast in dogs. If a rabid dog bites you, it will die in weeks. As you mentioned t...  Read Full

When I bite, both sides teeth do not come in contact at the same time. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, About 2.5 years ago I put extreme pressure on my back teeth by mistake, and they are now slightly pushed into my gums. Just a week ago, I noticed my upper right wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it were growing a bit crooked, so I decided to move them back myself gradually. I started get...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tinu Thampy
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel you have to get a full check up done of your upper and lower jaw. Upper right wisdom tooth erupts between 17 to 25 years. But, if there is no space for it to erupt then they come out crooked. Pain can also result if the wisdom tooth is not erupting in the normal pa...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now