Q. I feel low after stopping my depression medicine. What can I do to help myself?

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

When my father passed away, I was diagnosed with major depression and had been on medication Lexapro for about a year. My psychiatrist recently stopped my medications as I was feeling rather normal. Shortly, I came for holidays overseas hoping to become more relaxed and at ease. But, I am feeling more agitated, having sleep paralysis and constantly feeling down. I do not have any friends here to hang out. I am also stressed out because people call me thin and I am trying very hard to gain weight. I am now 43 kg, and my ideal weight should be 50 kg. I also feel down because of this. What can I do to help myself?

#

I can understand your situation.

• You were taking Lexapro, which contains Escitalopram, since a long time. Sudden stopping of this drug causes withdrawal symptoms like poor sleep, low mood, loss of interest in cheerful activities, etc.
  • I will suggest you make yourself busy and take some sleep medicines like Clonazepam, Zolpidem, etc., for a week to overcome withdrawal effects of Lexapro.
  • If symptoms persist, then I will suggest you restart the medicine and slowly taper its dosage and then stop it completely. It is the actual scientific way to stop this medication.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|