Q. Does joint pain from statins go away?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

I have health anxiety and recently have been feeling fatigued and joint pain. Four months ago, I started on Crestor (Rosuvastatin) and doubled recently to 20 mg. My total protein 6.9 g/dL albumin 4.4 g/dL. My recent symptoms brought me to have a repeat CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein) and ESR ( erythrocyte sedimentation rate) all normal. My total protein is now 6.4 g/dL and albumin 4.7 g/dL. It states albumin and globulin ratio is high at 2.7. I see cancers as a reason for this.

#

The word ‘cancer’ means an uncontrollable proliferation of some types of cells. It is a whole package comprising of anemia, leukopenia or leukocytosis, high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), thrombocytopenia, unexplained fever, weight loss, arthralgias, and myalgias. These are diagnosed using FNAC (fine needle aspiration biopsy), bone marrow biopsy, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, radiological surveying. These are treated with chemotherapies selected according to the type of cells involved in lesions. Your case seems some sort of infection or inflammation. Low immunity also increases the albumin and globulin ratio.

Based on this finding, my doctor does not think anything of it and does not do more testing. I do not want to miss anything, and should I just go to a hematologist.

#

Get your LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CBC (complete blood count) tests done. If it is normal, no further workup is needed.

Yes, I did that. So just do not worry about the albumin and globulin ratio is high.

#

Though the LDH (Lactate dehydrogenase) test is not in the reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), however, rest of the things are pretty good. You do not want to worry as cancer, or similar conditions are highly unlikely to appear.

Do you think I should pursue seeing a hematologist, or are my laboratory reports okay to stick with my internist? Should I ask about doing an LDH?

#

No need for further investigation, in my opinion. And no need for further consultation too.

|