Q. What could be the cause of bilateral apical pleural thickening?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I did an x-ray for immigration purposes, and the panel of physicians said that my chest x-ray was abnormal. She has sent me my reports and asked me to follow up with another doctor. I wanted to know if the abnormality was a matter of concern or because of lifestyle issues.

#

As I can see, there is mention of bilateral apical pleural capping in the document shared by you (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It means there is a possible thickening of the covering of both lungs in the upper chest area. While this finding is non-specific in most cases, it can be an indication of previous inflammation or infection in few cases.

Coming to the finding, it is not of serious concern and is unrelated to lifestyle changes. It might help if you get a CT (computed tomography) chest scan to confirm the finding and any associated lung changes.

|