Q. My broken molar pains a lot and I feel feverish. How to treat it?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I have a broken molar causing a lot of pain and lethargy. I cannot afford a dentist and I fear about sepsis. It has broken over a year but now pains a lot and making me feel feverish.

#

I went through your query and the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Lethargy and elevated temperature are classical signs of infection from sepsis. As your lower left second molar is grossly carious leading to root stump, it is getting infected. I would advice to get it extracted as soon as possible, as medicines will work only on temporary basis and the infection will revert.

Kindly mention if you have any medical history such as blood pressure, or diabetes? Any drug allergy? Medications might get altered accordingly. So it is important.

I would advice, capsule Sporidex 500 mg (Cephalexin 500 mg) one capsule BD for five days, Metronidazole one tablet BD for five days, Ibuprofen one tablet BD for five days, and Omeprazole one capsule BD before meals for five days.

Use Betadine mouthwash, gargle in lukewarm water twice or thrice daily.

Avoid sticky or sweet food as much possible.

Start the medication, they are the safest drugs possible and will buy you enough time to get an extraction from your local dentist.

Grossly carious lower-left second molar.

Apical periodontitis.

Medications for now. Need extraction.

|