Q. Had an appendectomy last week, they started me on antibiotics, Flagyl, through an IV. Would this affect my birth control?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2018

I had an appendectomy last week and they have started me on antibiotics, Flagyl, through an IV. Would this affect my birth control? Should I be using other protection?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Flagyl (Metronidazole) as such has no effect on birth control. You need not take any extra precautions for the sake of Flagyl itself.

But, if you were on pills earlier and had to discontinue due to surgery, then, of course, you need other protection.

To know the methods of birth control consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Delayed Periods: When to Suspect Pregnancy?

Article Overview: This article discusses the possibility of unintended pregnancies in young sexually active women and suggests some hints on timing the intercourse to minimize the risk of unplanned pregnancies, and consequently their adverse effects on the female reproductive health. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Being sexually active comes with its own set of risks, unwanted pregnancies being one of them. A delayed period could be a sign you are pregnant, but not always. Periods can be late due to various other factors such as stress, illness, exhaustion, contraceptive pills, obesity, thyroid disorders, and...  Read Article

Emergency Contraception: Alleviate Anxiety About Unwanted Pregnancy

Article Overview: Whenever a female has unprotected intercourse without using any kind of contraception, a chance of pregnancy is present. The female sometimes does not want to bear the risk of having a child at that point in her life. So, emergency contraception options are beneficial in such a case, to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. In this article, we will discuss in detail about the methods of emergency contraception available and their mechanisms. Read Article

Emergency contraception is a method to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse has taken place. Methods Hereby, you can see different methods with the dose of drugs. Hormonal pill. IUCD (intrauterine contraceptive device). 1. Hormonal pills: Two doses of oral combined contra...  Read Article

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the...  Read Full