Q. I have severe pain in right lower abdomen. Could it be appendicitis?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 24, 2019

I suddenly started having severe pain all over my stomach yesterday. I took injections for pain, vomiting, and gas from the nearby clinic. But the pain did not stop, and it continued till the evening. Then I went to a hospital, where I was told it might be an appendix and to ensure that an ultrasound scan should be taken. But after a while, I felt completely normal and returned without doing any tests. I did request for a prescription, in case if the pain comes back. I did a urine test, and it is normal.

Now there is only a dull pain at the right bottom side of my abdomen, and it hurts a bit when I touch there. Could it be an appendix, and should I rush for medical assistance? As I am having my exams, I have to wait for two weeks to approach the doctor.

#

I can understand your unavoidable necessity to delay the treatment.

1) Based on the description of your stomach pain, it might be due to an appendicitis.

2) Another possibility for similar pain is kidney stones, but this was excluded from the normal urine report.

3) You must do the USG (ultrasound) abdomen and also continue treatment for pain and inflammation.

4) If the USG abdomen shows appendicitis, then you must undergo surgery, as medical management of appendicitis might cause repeated episodes in the future.

5) Recovery after this operation is quick and probably you would be able to appear in the exam also.

USG abdomen, CBC (complete blood count).

Right ureteric calculi.

Appendicitis.

antibiotics,
analgesics,
laparoscopic surgery.

Follow up with the general surgeon.

|