Q. I have stomach pain and sweating in the head after gay encounter. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Nov 19, 2019

I am a 32-year-old male. I had a gay encounter with four men in a massage parlor in three different days. In all the four cases we have used condoms but once the condom slipped. In my second and third encounter, I got a lot of blood and that too very dark color blood and something else also came. I was under the guy. I had a word with my doctor he has asked me to get it tested.

After three weeks of my encounter, I have done the test for HIV 1 and 2 antibody screening serum test, VDRL RPR serum test and both results are non-reactive. After 35 days, I did HIV-DUO (fourth-generation test) which is also negative. After 70 days, I have again done HIV 1 and 2 antibodies screening serum, VDRL RPR serum and both result are non reactive. Again after 75 days, I have again done HIV 1 and 2 antibodies screening serum, VDRL RPR serum from the different lab and both results are non-reactive. Again after 91 days, I have again done HIV 1 and 2 antibodies screening test serum, VDRL RPR serum (from the different lab), and both results are non-reactive. I have weakness from the last two months and also painless ulcers from six weeks which are going now, then, I showed it to my doctor he says everything is fine. From the last one week I have continuous low level pain in my stomach and a lot of acidity, and also going to the toilet around four times. I also had a slight headache and sweating in the head. I have been taking a lot of medicines related to the stomach from the last two months.

I am taking Pantacid, Rebagen, Turminice, Stablon, Nurdac, and Nurokind tablets.

I did my other tests like vitamin B12 which is 281, vitamin D is 12.02.

Please advise.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

HIV infection has a window period of one to three months during which the test results can be a false negative. Homosexual exposures have a higher risk of HIV transmission than other modes. According to WHO (world health organization), all test results of HIV are considered conclusive at 12 weeks after the last exposure. As your last test at 91 days after the exposure is negative, it can be concluded that you have not acquired HIV.

You should consider yourself really lucky as you have had a high-risk exposure in the form of receptive homosexual anal intercourse. Kindly refrain from all such activities in the future too.

With regard to your complaints of acidity and stomach pain, it is advisable to get your stool tested for any other infection. Do not take any further stress as your HIV result is definitively negative.

Stool for culture, ova and cysts.

I have a raised spot on the shaft of the penis. Could it be syphilis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a sexually active gay male. I always use condoms for anal sex. I have a spot on the shaft of the penis, which is a little tender to touch. It is raised and smooth with nothing inside. It has been like this for just under a week. Could it be syphilis? I have some acne on m...  Read Full »

Being a male, why am I always getting an image of kissing a boy in my mind?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 26 year old male. When I am with my friends (male), an image of kissing that friend pops into my head sometimes. Though I am not attracted to boys, what could be the reason for this? Please help.  Read Full »

Can I have unprotected sex after nonreactive HIV duo test?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected oral sex with a sex-worker as well as rimming and protected vaginal sex. After 28 days, I did HIV duo test and it came nonreactive. Can I have unprotected sex with my wife now? Is duo test at 28 days conclusive? Do I need a further test?  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now