Q. My friend did not have any bleeding after taking an I-pill. Is there anything to worry?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

My friend and I had sex on the 29th of last month. Her last periods started on the 15th of last month. We used a condom the whole time, but I was worried there could have been a leak and got her an I-pill within 18 hours of intercourse. She has had no bleeding whatsoever since then and not even had her periods yet. Is there anything to worry? She normally gets her periods in 28 days. Please help.

#

How are you doing?

The act of sex was on day-15 of the period, that is, very close to the ovulation date. But as you said that a condom had been used all the time and you only have a doubt of spill, the chances of a pregnancy is very very low. As the pill was taken within 24 hours of sex, its success is also very high.

This pill is a progesterone hormone in a high dose. So, the period would be slightly delayed. Some do get their periods within 10 days of the pill, but I would suggest you wait until seven to 10 days of the expected date. So, wait until the 25th of this month. She should get her periods by then.

If still no periods, it is due to the deranged hormonal levels due to the pill. If still doubtful about condom failure, have a home urine pregnancy test. Once confirmed as negative, have tablet Duoluton-L (Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel) or Intimacy plus 3 (Ethinylestradiol and Desogestrel) or Novelon or Ovral-G - one tablet twice a day for 10 days (throw away the 21st pill). No matter what the cause is (except pregnancy) she will have her periods within seven to 10 days.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

If there happens to be a pregnancy, then are there any medicines that can be taken at home on online doctor’s recommendation?

#

If there is pregnancy, which I bet is not possible with your history, you will need to confirm the location of the pregnancy by a scan. You do not want a pregnancy in a tube to start bleeding.

Once the pregnancy inside the uterus is confirmed, only a doctor's prescription can get you the medicine. To avoid misuse, the sale of the pill over the counter has been stopped. Do not worry, you will not need it.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if any more queries. All the best.

|