Q. Based on my sperm analysis reports, kindly let me know my condition.

and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am attaching the test reports which my doctor had advised. Please have a look and let me know my condition.

#

I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and you have evident oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. This means low count, slow-moving and, higher immotile sperms, and also they are morphologically defective sperms. More than one million leucocytes indicate an active infection, which is the possible cause of oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. I hope this clarifies your query.

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching the report of another test taken after three weeks. How can I be sure of what exactly my diagnosis is? And what are my options? In the second test, I had less than one million leucocytes. Please clarify.

#

In this second report, the abnormal form and immotility have increased, and the sperm counts have decreased. However, the diagnosis remains the same. The sperm has a life cycle of four months. So ideally, you need a two-week antibiotic course followed by sperm energizers and antioxidants for three months. Then the semen analysis can be repeated to check the difference. Also, it is essential to avoid alcohol, smoking, and fatty foods. Keep yourself well hydrated with three to four liters per day. Wear loose, airy clothing and avoid warm places as heat is detrimental to sperm production.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I stop smoking and avoid fatty foods, is it possible for the sperm count to become normal?

#

As said before, the minimal cycle period is four months. But in your case, you will have to start medication apart from smoking and dietary restrictions. I hope this clarifies your doubt.

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean that I do not have a particular problem causing the low sperm count and other issues?

#

You have infection and inflammation as the cause of oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. If not attended to and treated on time, it is a big problem as your counts may further decrease and may become null. In addition, there are chances that you may have a varicocele, and your local genital temperature may be higher, preventing sperm growth. This can be investigated with a penile and scrotal doppler study.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a scrotal ultrasound done. The report says, "examination of both testicles done supine, with straining and standing to detect varicocele. No evident dilated varicocele. Both testicles are of average size with normal homogenous echo pattern and vascularity, no solid or cystic focal lesions. Both epididymal heads are unremarkable. No hydrocele. Opinion - unremarkable study." Please explain.

#

The report is normal. Hence you need to get treated for the infection, and then you need to take sperm energizers and antioxidants for three months. So take care and revert for more queries.

Thanks for the reply.

What might be the reason for my infection? Why do you feel infection is the cause? My latest sperm count is four lakhs. Please explain.

#

The presence of more than one million leucocytes indicates the presence of some infection in your body that needs to be treated. I hope this clarifies your query. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

But in the second analysis, the count is only four lakhs. I am confused. Please clarify. I appreciate any help you can provide.

#

Ideally, it should be less than five or null. The presence of leucocytes itself shows infection along with pus cells. The next best step would be to undergo a semen culture to identify the possible organism causing infection and thereby causing denaturing sperm morphology and making it non-viable for fertilization. The fact is that you are losing on counts, and the most common reasons remain heat, smoking, free radicals, decreased blood flow, and infection. You can, however, opt for an ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) procedure under IVF (in vitro fertilization) protocol if you wish to have a child soon. Have you already been offered treatment by your IVF doctor?

Thanks for the reply.

My next appointment is nearby, but I wanted to know where I stand because all this really stresses me. And also, I wanted to get a second opinion. My question is, in my case, can I undergo an IVF procedure, or does my sperm not qualify for that? Because I read online that there is a minimum requirement for IVF procedure. Please explain.

#

As there are no normal forms available IVF procedure would not be fruitful. Instead, intracytoplasmic sperm injection can be a possibility offered to you. Do not worry. Revert after your appointment if you have queries. Thanks.

|