Q. Has my chronic sinusitis lead to asthma?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I am a 44-year-old male with chronic sinusitis. I was exposed to lead and asbestos while serving in the shipyards about 20 years ago. I now draw disability for chronic sinusitis. Recently, my episodes have been turning into bronchitis and even pneumonia more and more frequently. Just this week, I was diagnosed with asthma. My question is can chronic sinusitis lead to asthma?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. Yes, chronic sinusitis can cause asthma. Recurrent respiratory tract infections including sinusitis can cause asthma especially adult onset asthma. But better to first get done spirometry study with bronchodilator reversibility. If spirometry is showing an obstructive defect with good bronchodilator reversibility, then asthma is likely. But, if spirometry is showing obstructive defect without bronchodilator reversibility then bronchitis is more likely.

Please let me know that do you smoke? Do you have allergies? Please reply me with answers to these questions so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further.

| 

I do not smoke and do not have any known allergies. I took the spirometry test and it had good bronchodilator reversibility. The numbers mentioned during the test ranged from 64 to 70. I think it was conveyed to me that they like the numbers to be at a minimum of 75 for my age. So you are saying again that there is a fairly good chance that my years of chronic sinusitis could have led to asthma?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

#

I can understand your concern. Yes, your understanding is right. Though your reversibility is less (less than 12 %), you might be having bronchitis. What was the cause of your sinusitis? Is it allergic? Is it infective? Another cause for your asthma or bronchitis is recurrent lung infection. This can also lead to asthma or bronchitis.

|