Q. How to prevent chronic sinusitis from getting worse?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hi, I have had chronic sinusitis for my whole life, my father has it as well and as far as I know, it had developed into rhinosinusitis and he is now unable to taste or smell. how can i prevent this happening to me?

#

Hello, U seem to have Allergic rhinitis which is typically due to hyperresponse to a certain material eg. dust. It typically presents with bouts of sneezing, more at a specific time in the day & related to some material for eg dust. apart from dust, there r many other materials that can cause allergic rhinitis also. patients also may may not have itching in the eyes, itching in the nose, eye watering, headache, watery nasal discharge. Remember that allergic symptoms have a high likelyhood of reappearing after treatment is complete. The reason for this is that the treatment is suppression of the allergic response & not treatment of the cause. So as soon as the medicines are stopped & u are exposed to the material u r allergic to, the allergy is back with a bang. Allergies on the long run can lead to chronic rhinosinsusitis... this can lead to loos of smell and taste.. I would like to advice you to continue Dymista Nasal spray... and use saline nasal drops with steam inhalation 2 times a day.. Hope this helps..

| 

Eventhough my reports are fine, I have pressure on my head and face. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I did a complete blood test, and everything was normal. I did a scanning of the lungs, and it was normal. I did EEG, ECG and again everything was perfect. But I have pressure on my head and face. I have a pain on my head. I do not know why I have this problem. I have difficulty during sl...  Read Full »

I am suffering from blocked and running nose inspite of having medicines. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from blocked nose and continues running nose since yesterday. Yellow plam coming out with cough with little pain in the center bone. Now consumed Deflazacort tablet and using Otrizon drops yet no relief.  Read Full »

Can Nasonex and Zyrtec be used for sinus block?

Query: Hi doctor, I found that my nose was blocked. The doctor diagnosed it as sinus block. I first took Otrivin drops and Moxiflox (antibiotic). As there is no improvement, I am taking Nasonex and Zyrtec. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»