Q. How to prevent chronic sinusitis from getting worse?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2021

I have chronic sinusitis. My father has it. It has developed into rhinosinusitis and he is unable to taste or smell now. How to prevent this from happening to me?

#

You seem to have allergic rhinitis. It typically occurs due to a hyper response to a certain material like dust. It presents with bouts of sneezing more at a specific time in a day. There are many other materials that can cause allergic rhinitis. They can cause itching in the eyes, eye-watering, headache, and watery nasal discharge. You need to remember that allergic symptoms have a high likelihood of reappearing after the treatment is complete. The reason behind this is that the treatment causes suppression of allergic response and it does not treat the cause. As soon as you stop the medicines and get exposed to allergic materials, your allergy comes back with a bang. Allergies, in the long run, can result in causing chronic rhinosinusitis. This leads to loss of smell and taste. I suggest you take Dymista nasal spray (Azelastine hydrochloride and Fluticasone propionate) and use saline nasal drops with steam inhalation two times a day.

|