Q. How to prevent chronic sinusitis from getting worse?

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

Hi, I have had chronic sinusitis for my whole life, my father has it as well and as far as I know, it had developed into rhinosinusitis and he is now unable to taste or smell. how can i prevent this happening to me?

#

Hello, U seem to have Allergic rhinitis which is typically due to hyperresponse to a certain material eg. dust. It typically presents with bouts of sneezing, more at a specific time in the day & related to some material for eg dust. apart from dust, there r many other materials that can cause allergic rhinitis also. patients also may may not have itching in the eyes, itching in the nose, eye watering, headache, watery nasal discharge. Remember that allergic symptoms have a high likelyhood of reappearing after treatment is complete. The reason for this is that the treatment is suppression of the allergic response & not treatment of the cause. So as soon as the medicines are stopped & u are exposed to the material u r allergic to, the allergy is back with a bang. Allergies on the long run can lead to chronic rhinosinsusitis... this can lead to loos of smell and taste.. I would like to advice you to continue Dymista Nasal spray... and use saline nasal drops with steam inhalation 2 times a day.. Hope this helps..

|