Q. Does my blood report confirm an autoimmune disease?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2021

I am experiencing back pain, knee pain and aching joints. I have severe burning sensation across my entire mid abdomen. Autoimmune disease runs in my family. Previously, I used to get red rashes all over my body from time to time over the years. My doctor is testing for Lupus. I have had some strange things going on for the past five years and I just had extensive blood work done last week. I am not scheduled to see the specialist for another three weeks, but I have some questions about some of the results and what they mean. Please help me.

#

• As per your description, it seems to be an autoimmune disease.
  • In the available blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the antinuclear antigen (ANA) is positive. ANA is the common marker for autoimmune diseases.
  • You might be suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or a mixed connective tissue disease. These autoimmune diseases can affect various body systems, including joints, skin, nerves and lungs and in a few cases can affect brain also.
  •  In these disorders, the person will develop antibodies in the blood against their own body.
  • After appropriate investigations, possibly you will be prescribed steroids or immunosuppressants and other supportive medications. The treatment duration will be possibly long.

1. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
2. Mixed connective tissue disease.

For further information consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|