Q. My 3. 5-year-old daughter is constipated for the last 20 days. Kindly help.

Dr. Samir Bhatia

My 3.5-year-old daughter is having constipation for the last 20 days. She has been prescribed Muout powder one scoop daily at night. Is it safe, and how long should the treatment go? After taking Muout, her stool got soft, but because of fear of getting hurt due to constipation, she does not sit on a potty seat, and she is not passing even the soft stool properly. She is doing in her pants like a paste and a very small amount. I tried a lot with lots of effort but unable to convenience her to sit on the potty seat whenever she needs to pass stools. Will it be an issue if she stops the nature pressure and tries to cover her buttocks on the floor when she needs to pass the stool? She was treated last year as well using Muout for three to four months due to constipation. Now again, the same medicine needs to be given. Please give your opinion.

#

Constipation is a common problem for children of this age. We should try dietary changes like avoiding milk products. Should give a fiber-rich diet, fresh fruits, and plenty of liquids. You can try apple or pear juices as they are beneficial. Muout powder (Polyethylene glycol) is good medicine. You should take one scoop of the powder in 100 to 150 mL of water twice daily for two weeks, and once the symptoms get better, you can give the powder only in the night for three months. You have to use it for at least three months because only then the bowel habit gets regularized. It is a lengthy treatment, but please stick to it. Avoid high-calorie food like sugar, fries, etc. Your daughter's weight is fine. Try to improve her diet as that will improve her general well-being as well. Milk can be given with honey. Better if she sits on a potty seat, mam. And for a better explanation, I recommend you subscribe to a one-to-one chat for 50 hours. I hope this was helpful.

|