Q. My 6-month-old baby gets diarrhea on taking new formula milk. Why does it happen?

Dr. Samir Bhatia
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2020

My baby just turned 6 months. I gave him Nan Optipro One for his 1st to 6 months, now I gave him the follow up milk which is Nan Optipro Two. After two days of drinking, he is suddenly having diarrhea now (five times a day). I tried reaching out for a pediatrician in our area but they are not accepting the appointments. He is also irritated because of his blooming teeth and he is eating oatmeal with banana puree. I wanted to ask if it is just his tummy adjusting or is there any underlying problem?

#

I appreciate your concern regarding your child. I would like to advise that transition can cause diarrhea but it should settle within four to five days. If it does not then we should change the feed.

Ensure hydration, give him ORS (oral rehydration solution) solution (dissolved one packet in one liter of water). She must take 90 ml of this solution after each loose stool. This ORS contains electrolytes that have lost by stool. Give it until loose stool subsides. Syrup Zinc 5 ml once a day for 14 days, it will fulfill zinc deficiency in your child and prevent further episodes of diarrhea and pneumonia also.

Give him semi-solid food more along with curd (this will help to improve the digestion). During this illness watch for any color change in urine output or decreased urine output, and any lethargy. In case they come please consult.

|