Q. How to cure a severe cold, cough, and mild fever in my 2-year-old daughter?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter is 2 years old. For the past one week, she has had a severe cold, cough, and mild fever. Still, there is no improvement. Kindly help.

#

Please do the following investigations first:

CBC (complete blood count), CRP (c-reactive protein), PSMP (peripheral smear for the malarial parasite), Dengue NS1 IgG IgM spot test (dengue antigen NS1 and immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M antibody), SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase test), Xray Chest, urine routine, and microscopy. Would you please document the temperatures with a thermometer? We need to know how high the temperature is and how many times in a day it comes. I would suggest the following medications:

1. Syrup Levolin 2.5 mL (Levosalbutamol) twice a day for five to seven days.

2. Syrup Cetirizine 2.5 mL once a day for three to five days.

3. Nebulization with Duolin (Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium bromide) 1/2 respule and 2 mL Normal Saline thrice a day. Nebulization with Budecort (Budesonide inhaler) 1/2 respule and 2 mL Normal Saline for two to three days if cough is very severe.

4. Syrup Augmentin duo (Amoxicillin and potassium clavulanate oral suspension) 5 mL twice a day for five days.

5. Syrup Nutrolin B 2.5 mL (Lactic acid bacillus with nicotinamide and pyridoxine hydrochloride) twice a day for five days.

Please do not follow any home-based therapy like hot water drinking or steam inhalation, using ajwain, tulsi, etc. We can make changes in the treatment after we get the test results and the documentation of temperature. You can visit a nearby hospital if the condition of the baby is bad.

|