Q. Kindly tell me about the medicines to be used to treat fever in a baby.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Sep 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

My son's age is 9 months, 12 kg, having fever since yesterday, we have given liquid medicine two times as of now (Paracetamol). After taking the medicine, fever came down and again back to 101 F, can you suggest any other medicine?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

When we see a rise in body temperature we call it fever. Fever is a symptom and not the diagnosis of a disease. Fever can be caused by various reasons most commonly due to some infections. Fever is the body's response to infections, rise in body temperature, helps prevent the spread of infection in the body. But we reduce fever by drugs because it causes discomfort and may induce convulsions in some children. Paracetamol reduces fever only and does not treat the cause of fever. So once the effects of the drug come down, fever rises again.

So I want to know what other symptoms are present along with fever-like cough, cold, pain in the abdomen, etc. Which will provide a clue about which infection is likely. So continue Paracetamol every sixth hourly and if fever persists go for blood tests like CBC CRP urine microscopy or chest X-ray, blood cultures and if needed antibiotics will be started.

Is it normal to have fever of 101 followed by green color vomitings in a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My kid is 4 years old (baby girl) and weighs around 14 kg. She has fever of 101 from last evening followed by vomitings and motions. She is vomiting green color fluid and passing stool of same color, we have given her Calpol 250 mg 4 ml doses twice from yestday for every six hours. Shou...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your history, I can suggest please go to pediatrician urgently. May be need to do abdominal sonogram because green color vomiting is unsual in 4 years old children, sometimes there may be lying some intestine problem like obstruction. I am not making you sca...  Read Full

Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 67 and a patient of hypertension and hypothyroidism. Recently, he has been detected with elevated bilirubin levels. Here are his recent symptoms: occasional mild fever (99 to 100.5 F). No apparent cold symptom. Typhoid test came negative. Mild nausea (feeling better after u...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) look alright except for fatty liver on the ultrasound scan. The liver function is fine. The bilirubin can just be observed, nothing worrisome. I suggest he have Udiliv (Ursodiol) for three t...  Read Full

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full