Q. Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2018

My father is 67 and a patient of hypertension and hypothyroidism. Recently, he has been detected with elevated bilirubin levels. Here are his recent symptoms: occasional mild fever (99 to 100.5 F). No apparent cold symptom. Typhoid test came negative. Mild nausea (feeling better after using Rablet D) Here are his additional problems (for quite some time): Shoulder ache which feels better with exercise and physiotherapy. Pain in the right toe which is mild to severe (was detected with high uric acid, generally feels better with medication, but also develops side effects. He does not feel well if he continues the uric acid medication for a long time.

#

• The attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) look alright except for fatty liver on the ultrasound scan. The liver function is fine. The bilirubin can just be observed, nothing worrisome.
  • I suggest he have Udiliv (Ursodiol) for three to four weeks and stop. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent.
  • He has to continue Eltroxin as thyroid levels are in the upper range. He can have Rablet-D whenever there is abdominal discomfort. Other regular medications can be continued.
  • Current symptoms can be closely observed. If a fever is persisting, please get a blood culture and urine culture done.
  • Avoid medicines which are harmful for the liver including over-the-counter medicines and ayurvedic tonics which can alter your liver function.

Hope your queries have been cleared. Please revert if you have any further queries.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

His doctor has suggested a liver fibroscan. Also, he said something about backflow of blood from the heart to the liver which I did not understand. He said it is not anything to worry about though. Are uric acid medications and Paracetamol harmful to the liver? Do you suggest we stop using Adiliv syrup? It seems ayurvedic, but it was prescribed.

#

• Please check the uric acid levels and take medicines if needed, only after confirming its safety.
  • Adiliv is a nonallopathic syrup. The contents are not within my knowledge.

|