Q. What are the signs in a baby that shows he/she is ready for sippy cup?

Dr. Vishal Parmar

I would like to know the signs to notice in a baby when he/she is ready for a sippy cup. What are the milestones that a baby needs to meet before they can be ready for a sippy cup? Explain the reason for each milestone or give examples for each milestone and why it is important for a baby to meet these first before trying a sippy cup.

#

For sippy cup baby should have developed some gross motor and fine motor milestone. Baby should be able to sit without support so that it reduces the chance of aspirations and better suck swallow coordinations. For fine motor milestone, he/she should able to develop radial and pincer grasp to hold the cup by himself. It should be offered after six months of age because outside milk is easier to digest because of gut maturity. Primitive neonatal reflex like moro and tonic neck reflex will disappear, so he/she can sit and flap.

|