Q. What are the signs in a baby that shows he/she is ready for sippy cup?

Dr. Vishal Parmar
Published on Nov 10, 2019

I would like to know the signs to notice in a baby when he/she is ready for a sippy cup. What are the milestones that a baby needs to meet before they can be ready for a sippy cup? Explain the reason for each milestone or give examples for each milestone and why it is important for a baby to meet these first before trying a sippy cup.

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Child Health Paediatrics
#

For sippy cup baby should have developed some gross motor and fine motor milestone. Baby should be able to sit without support so that it reduces the chance of aspirations and better suck swallow coordinations. For fine motor milestone, he/she should able to develop radial and pincer grasp to hold the cup by himself. It should be offered after six months of age because outside milk is easier to digest because of gut maturity. Primitive neonatal reflex like moro and tonic neck reflex will disappear, so he/she can sit and flap.

How to break the habit of thumb sucking in a 9 months old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9 months old baby boy is addicted to thumb sucking while sleeping and other time also. What to do to break the habit of thumb sucking?  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a 5-month-old baby who is not sleeping properly.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 months old baby boy is not sleeping well. He will sleep maximum for one hour continuously. Always he will have disturbed sleep. He used to be awake the whole night. I am breast feeding him. Kindly advise why my baby in not having a peaceful sleep.  Read Full »

One of my baby's eyeballs appears to be deeper. Will it get corrected on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one and a half months old. One of her eyeballs appears to be more inside than the other. What should we do? Should we consult a specialist or will it get alright as the baby grows?  Read Full »