Q. How to proceed with the treatment for back pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My back is burning and the pain is extreme. I have been diagnosed with a pinched spinal nerve and arthritis in my shoulders. How to proceed further?

#

• You have mentioned a burning sensation in your lower back region along with pain. Also, there seems to be a nerve compression at one of the spinal levels due to which you must be having symptoms in your legs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Anyways to start with, if there is no major neurological involvement, then conservative management in the form of intensive physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications, adequate calcium and vitamin D to keep bone metabolism healthy and depending upon the severity of symptoms, neuropathic medications like Pregabalin or Gabapentin can be initiated and doses have to be adjusted accordingly.
  • Adequate precautions like not bending forwards acutely and no heavy weight lifting have to be observed.
  • You can get back to me with your doctor's prescription mentioning your spine examination details, medications and investigations like x-rays, MRI scan, etc., for further advice you.
  • Also, I would like to briefly mention that you are very young to have any significant joint arthritis unless there is a prior history of injury to the affected joint or it is a manifestation of a generalized pathology.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|