Q. I am having back pain, but nothing wrong with my bones. Kindly help me.

Dr. Shakti A. Goel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having serious back pain in the upper left area of my back. I had x-ray and found nothing wrong with my bones. My doctor advised me to take various painkillers, but they did not work. I have been having the pain for several months now. I do not know what to do. Please help.

#

• First, I would like to know if the back pain goes down to your legs or if it increases on changing position.
  • There is a possibility that the bones look normal on a simple AP (anteroposterior) and lateral x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you to go for flexion and extension views in lateral position to look for spinal instability. If you have radicular pain, then an MRI of lumbar spine would help.
  • If the pain is better with medicines, then I would recommend you to continue medicines for 15 days first.
  • Stop bending forward and do not lift heavy weight. Do not sit on the floor too.
  • I suggest tablet Pregabalin 75 mg once at night if there is radicular pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Physiotherapy for back muscles and Williams abdominal exercises would be helpful. Also, try and reduce your BMI.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|