Q. I am having back pain, but nothing wrong with my bones. Kindly help me.

Dr. Shakti A. Goel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having serious back pain in the upper left area of my back. I had x-ray and found nothing wrong with my bones. My doctor advised me to take various painkillers, but they did not work. I have been having the pain for several months now. I do not know what to do. Please help.

Dr. Shakti A. Goel

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• First, I would like to know if the back pain goes down to your legs or if it increases on changing position.
  • There is a possibility that the bones look normal on a simple AP (anteroposterior) and lateral x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you to go for flexion and extension views in lateral position to look for spinal instability. If you have radicular pain, then an MRI of lumbar spine would help.
  • If the pain is better with medicines, then I would recommend you to continue medicines for 15 days first.
  • Stop bending forward and do not lift heavy weight. Do not sit on the floor too.
  • I suggest tablet Pregabalin 75 mg once at night if there is radicular pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Physiotherapy for back muscles and Williams abdominal exercises would be helpful. Also, try and reduce your BMI.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Related Video

I have chest soreness and radiating pain.Is this due to pleurisy or costochondritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old, otherwise healthy (as far as I know) female. I was a smoker earlier. No history of heart disease. My mother has COPD, but has been a long time smoker.  Two and a half weeks ago, I went on a hayride with my sons. I have a short stature. To get on and off the hayrid...  Read Full »

I feel an irritation of the nerve over the left temple. Is it a neurological or dental problem?

Query: Hello doctor, From the past three months, I am having pain like irritation of the nerve on the left side exactly on the temple of the head, and in the left jaw in front of the ear. This pain radiates to the back of the ear, below the left jaw, and then radiates to the left side of the neck. The pain...  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now