Q. Is my back pain, a nerve problem?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Oct 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having pain in my right side lower back only if I bend or try to wear my trouser. Also, it is there if I am standing and trying to raise my leg. Even while walking I feel little pain. If I lie in bed or stand straight, then there is no pain. What is the reason and what medicine can I take?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• There are three possibilities for your pain. It could be one out of these three conditions or a combination of them.
  1. Intervertebral disc prolapse.
  2. Lumbar canal stenosis.
  3. Para vertebral muscle spasm or lower back strain or lumbago (low back pain).
  • If the pain in the lower back region is unsettling for weeks, then physical examination to determine neurological deficit is indicated. My advice is to first get an x-ray of lumbosacral region of your spine and follow up with the same.
  • Also, I would like you to answer a few questions for me. Is there any tingling or numbness sensation in your legs? 
  • Do you have any sensory loss in your legs? Does your lower back ache exaggerate on coughing, sneezing, bending sideways?
  • If you have undergone any clinical evaluation or investigation or treatment, kindly provide the details of it.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

There is no tingling sensation or numbness or sensory loss. My back does not ache with coughing or sneezing. There is no pain with sideways bending. It pains a lot if I sit cross leg, getting up from bed without support and pulling my right leg up while standing. It started today and I never had it before.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• The chance for intervertebral disc prolapse has decreased to some extent and there is a possibility of another condition called as pyriformis syndrome (pyriformis muscle spasm in buttock region).
  • A physical examination is required to confirm the diagnosis and treatment can be started only after the clinical examination. My recommendation is to visit your local orthopedic doctor for the same.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Today, when I got up in the morning and the pain is worse. I could not stand on my right feet neither can I sit. I feel a sudden intense pain while getting up or sitting on the bed. I hope it is nothing to do with nerves? I took Mobizox yesterday and the pain went away for a while. Can I take this medicine again? Can it be nerve related?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• There is a high probability of your pain to be related to nerves. I suggest you Mobizox (Paracetamol, Diclofenac sodium and Chlorzoxazone) twice a day for the next seven days along with Pantoprazole 40 mg in the morning.
  • Take an ample amount of bed rest, refrain from bending forward, lifting weights or doing any exercises.
  • I also suggest calcium tablet and multivitamin B complex. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Apply analgesic gel to the affected region and hot water bag or hot fomentation is also greatly helpful. My guess is you have not seen any doctor and not taken any proper treatment for the same.

Revert back after a week to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I shall be visiting the doctor today. My question is if it is related to nerves, can it be cured? Or is nerve pain a permanent one?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Lower back pain is not just nerve pain or mechanical pain; there is usually a combination of two.
  • If there is compression of nerve causing pain, then it can be cured once the pressure is relieved. Sometimes, this is achieved by medication and lifestyle modification, including exercises and while in some cases surgery is done.
  • Most of the cases the pain can be resolved. Only in late and advanced stages the pain becomes permanent due to multifactorial involvement.

I visited a doctor and had an MRI. I have attached the reports. Also, I took Mobizox and my pain is 95 percent better. My MRI says, straightening of lordotic curvature. What is that?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Loss of lumbar lordosis without any other changes on MRI suggest a benign pathology. You only have strained your back muscles from an incorrect posture or lifting heavy weight.
  • Continue the medication prescribed for 7-10 days. Take rest and apply hot water bag to the affected area.
  • Once the pain is settled, exercises for restoration of the lumbar curvature have to be started.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Now, what should I do to make my back better? Is this problem a chronic one or can get treated?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Your back condition is related to bad posture and lack of back stretching exercises. If you do not exercise regularly, then the condition will progress and become chronic.
  • Since the pain is relieved, you can start with the exercises. Refrain from any exercise involving bending forward as of now and do not lift heavy weights. Sleep on a hard mattress and continue hot fomentation.
  • Once the pain settles, one has the tendency to stop exercise and forget about the precautions which will bring the pain back. Follow up after a fortnight of these exercises and precautions.

How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can ben...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable cause is IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse) and iliopsoas strain. I feel that pain could be due to irritation. I would like to you to do a lot of icing on your back once in every two hours. Lie on stomach with chest placed over pillows like in a cobr...  Read Full

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You might have nerve compression from cervical spondylitis.Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist  Read Full

Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm.What could it be?

Query: Hello Doctor, Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm. Tingling sensation everywhere in the whole arm. The shoulder blade hurts, underarm pit also hurts. Part of chest and cervical bulges are seen.  Read Full >>

Dr. Saseendar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from cervical disc prolapse and radiculitis that means there is involvement of some of the nerve roots that arise from your neck. What is the duration of your problem and what is your job? Your condition might need evaluation with x-ray of the cervical s...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now