Q. What is the best posture to avoid pain in legs?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

I use the computer and sit 10 hours daily in the office chair since last five years. I feel pain in inner thighs sometimes. Since last few days, I have felt severe pain in both inner thighs and have taken one Voveran and Paracetamol tablet. It feels good after taking medicine or applying Voveran gel, but the pain starts after sitting for a long time in the chair. I was using cushion chair earlier. Due to pain, I got shifted to a plastic chair, but the pain has not cured completely. The following are some queries in this regard. What is the exact problem of pain in inner thighs? Which medicine should be taken to prevent this problem? Please suggest in details. Which kind of office chair is better, either cushion or plastic? Is seat rest on chair a better option? What is the best posture for legs to avoid pain? Is there any exercise to avoid inner thigh pain? I am looking forward your reply. Thank you.

Do you have a question on Back Pain or Hip Joint Pain?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Sumit Chawla

MBBS., MS ORTHO
Orthopedics And Traumatology

• You seem to have pathology at the spinal level, causing postural or mechanical backache or a hip or sacrococcygeal joint pathology with referred pain in the thighs.
  • Pain over the inner thigh can be due to either of the two causes mentioned above. To diagnose the cause both clinical examination and investigation are required. If you do not have any backache, then spinal pathology is unlikely.
  • Investigations required are x-ray pelvis with both hips (anteroposterior view) and x-ray lumbosacral region at anteroposterior and lateral view.
  • Medication can only be suggested after diagnosing the condition. There is no preventive medication for postural backache or the hip pathology suspected here.
  • Plastic or cushion chair does not make any difference. But, the chair should have adequate back support. Using seat rest is a good option. You should sit on the chair and it should be comfortable.
  • Legs should be rested on a platform or touching the ground rather than hanging in the air while sitting. The knee should bent 80 to 100 degrees as increased flexion causes more pain on prolonged sitting.
  • If it is due to spinal pathology, then spine extension exercises are helpful. If it is due to hip pathology, then the exact cause has to be determined before suggesting any exercise.

X-ray pelvis with both hips - anteroposterior view and x-ray lumbosacral region - anteroposterior and lateral view.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain. It just started while I was playing Foosball. The pain goes down to my left thigh, hamstring area, towards the left side of the left knee and to the ankle. I have also got twinging and numb little toe finger on my left foot. I am only applying Volini ointment ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. I would suggest you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done of your low back. As your complaints are suggestive of disc involvement, I would like to rule that out. I would like to know further details like pain character and movements tha...  Read Full

Shall I continue the treatment advised by my doctor for hip joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63 year old male. I had polio affected right leg, but have been leading a normal life since then. Recently, I developed pain in the right thigh joint, but able to walk normally. In some positions, it is painful. I have got my MRI study of the hip joint. The report is enclosed here...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would have been in a better position to answer your query if I had seen the plain x-ray of pelvis films and MRI films rather than just a report. From the description of your symptoms and the MRI report, it seems that you have an arthritic right hip joint, though I c...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now