Q. What is the best posture to avoid pain in legs?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I use the computer and sit 10 hours daily in the office chair since last five years. I feel pain in inner thighs sometimes. Since last few days, I have felt severe pain in both inner thighs and have taken one Voveran and Paracetamol tablet. It feels good after taking medicine or applying Voveran gel, but the pain starts after sitting for a long time in the chair. I was using cushion chair earlier. Due to pain, I got shifted to a plastic chair, but the pain has not cured completely. The following are some queries in this regard. What is the exact problem of pain in inner thighs? Which medicine should be taken to prevent this problem? Please suggest in details. Which kind of office chair is better, either cushion or plastic? Is seat rest on chair a better option? What is the best posture for legs to avoid pain? Is there any exercise to avoid inner thigh pain? I am looking forward your reply. Thank you.

#

• You seem to have pathology at the spinal level, causing postural or mechanical backache or a hip or sacrococcygeal joint pathology with referred pain in the thighs.
  • Pain over the inner thigh can be due to either of the two causes mentioned above. To diagnose the cause both clinical examination and investigation are required. If you do not have any backache, then spinal pathology is unlikely.
  • Investigations required are x-ray pelvis with both hips (anteroposterior view) and x-ray lumbosacral region at anteroposterior and lateral view.
  • Medication can only be suggested after diagnosing the condition. There is no preventive medication for postural backache or the hip pathology suspected here.
  • Plastic or cushion chair does not make any difference. But, the chair should have adequate back support. Using seat rest is a good option. You should sit on the chair and it should be comfortable.
  • Legs should be rested on a platform or touching the ground rather than hanging in the air while sitting. The knee should bent 80 to 100 degrees as increased flexion causes more pain on prolonged sitting.
  • If it is due to spinal pathology, then spine extension exercises are helpful. If it is due to hip pathology, then the exact cause has to be determined before suggesting any exercise.

X-ray pelvis with both hips - anteroposterior view and x-ray lumbosacral region - anteroposterior and lateral view.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|