Q. Why does my back pain increase when I stand up or lift the weight?

Dr. Renjit George Marcus
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2022

I am a 37-year-old male. I have been experiencing back pain for the past three months. My pain increases when I stand up and also when I lift a 20-liter water can.

What should I do now?

Thanks.

#

I am sorry to hear about your pain. It sounds like spinal instability. I would like to know a few more details.

1) Do you have pain extending to your thighs or legs?

2) Is there any numbness in your legs?

3) Do you feel any weakness?

If you have any of these, you should take an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to assess the disc and nerves. If it is not there, back exercise to strengthen back muscles will cure you.

You have to do it by lying on the bed. Lie down straight with the knees slightly bent. Then bend your right knee towards your chest and hold it like that with your hand for ten seconds. Repeat the same with the other knee. Do it atleast ten times for one month.

Take care.

Thank you for your valuable reply.

Until now there is no pain in my legs.

Thanks.

#

Do the exercise mentioned above.

Take care.

|