Q. X-ray for back pain shows disc space narrowing in my lower spine. Please help.

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Sep 07, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I had been suffering from low back pain for many years, I had X-rays which showed disk space narrowing in my lower spine. I fell two weeks ago and suffered enough pain to see a chiropractor in hopes of relieving the pain without narcotics or analgesics on a regular basis. I have been to chiropractor six times in two weeks. Lower back pain seems relieved but the pain in right buttock radiates down, outer right leg to the foot and is searing white-hot shooting stabbing breathtaking. I am uninsured so I have to be frugal but should I see someone for something other than X-rays?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Welcome to ciliniq.com.

From your description of the symptoms and the fact that the back pain has improved while the leg pain (nature and radiation to the foot) remains indicates the cause to be from a disc in your spine pressing on one of the nerve roots (possibly L5 nerve root).

You have two options:

One wait and watch as long as there is no numbness or weakness of the leg or any bowel and bladder disturbance and take Diclofenac 75 mg twice a day with an antacid assuming you have no allergies or asthma.

Lyrica 75 mg twice a day (makes you feel sleepy for a few weeks and then wears off ) to help with the nerve pain. You may need to take it for a length of time before actual improvement in pain is noted.

Secondly see a spine doc and have an MRI to confirm the diagnosis and take the above mentioned or opt for surgery on the doctor's advice.

Discogenic.

Why am I having this one-sided head to toe nerve pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex with an unknown person. Since then, I feel unhealthy. I feel like one-sided nerve pain and for the first two months felt weakness and now the fifth year is going on. I tested four times for HIV and it is negative. I have also been checked for also herpes 1, 2 and s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your fear. If you have used a condom while having intercourse then it is less likely to acquire a sexually transmitted infection. You can either have an ulcer over your genitals or pus from your urethra in case of sexually transmitted infections. ...  Read Full

Why is there numbness below knee and toe?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lower back pain on and off from last two years. Two weeks before I got severe pain in my right leg. I was unable to move my leg. Physiotherapist suggested taking bed rest for four days. My trauma and orthopedic doctor asked me to do surgery if I was unable to tolerate pain. After ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Basically, it is a nerve pain due to compression at your lumbar spine. Usually, 90 to 95 % of patients respond to conservative management. Only 5 % of patients require surgery. The ailment basically you have has waxing and waning course. A few days back you had pain ...  Read Full

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now