Q. My eye looks blood red. It is itchy and dry. Could this be a bacterial conjunctivitis?

Answered by Dr. Anand and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Bacterial Conjunctivitis or Itchy Eyes? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I also have seborrhoeic dermatitis (perhaps rosacea as well), and my condition has improved greatly. Recently, I got very bad allergy symptoms, my eyes and nose became extremely itchy, causing me to sneeze a lot. This morning when I woke up, I had trouble in opening one of my eyes due to a dark yellow eye discharge. Apart from being itchy, my eye was blood red and dry (only one eye). I have never had this much discharge before, especially after I started cleaning my eyelids for treating my blepharitis. It really terrified me. Could this be bacterial conjunctivitis due to the color of the discharge and the fact that only one eye was affected? What are other possible explanations?