Q. My eye looks blood red. It is itchy and dry. Could this be a bacterial conjunctivitis?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2019

I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I also have seborrhoeic dermatitis (perhaps rosacea as well), and my condition has improved greatly. Recently, I got very bad allergy symptoms, my eyes and nose became extremely itchy, causing me to sneeze a lot. This morning when I woke up, I had trouble in opening one of my eyes due to a dark yellow eye discharge. Apart from being itchy, my eye was blood red and dry (only one eye). I have never had this much discharge before, especially after I started cleaning my eyelids for treating my blepharitis. It really terrified me. Could this be bacterial conjunctivitis due to the color of the discharge and the fact that only one eye was affected? What are other possible explanations?

#

I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it is nothing but common bacterial conjunctivitis. Since you have blepharitis, you are more likely to get conjunctivitis. Also, blepharitis, in turn, is related to seborrhoeic dermatitis. What I can assure you is bacterial conjunctivitis is treated easily with antibiotic eye drops.

Try using Gatifloxacin eye drops initially half-hourly on the first day and later you can taper to hourly dose next day and 2 hourly on the third day and so on. Just continue for 5 days, and you will be fine.

My only concern is that you have associated blepharitis. This can be treated well by cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo daily, for a few months. Once blepharitis is controlled, your eye irritation, watering, and itching will come down.

|