Q. What medicines can help my bad throat?

Dr. Girish Subash

I have had a bad throat maybe because of change in weather as I am traveling. It is like flu with a bad throat and with a blocked nose. Also, my spit is in green color now. Can I take antibiotics? Is it bacterial or viral? I m attaching a picture of my spit. Also, I am on Metformin for weight loss and I am a prediabetic. Please help.

#

If it has just started now you can take antibiotics.

I suggest you take tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for four to five days and tablet Hicet DC (Cetirizine and Phenylephrine) one at night for three days.

You can also take Xylomist (Xylometazoline) nasal drops three drops three times daily after steam inhalation for your blocked nose.

If there is temperature rise, you can take Paracetamol 500 mg three to four times daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.

For more information consult an ENT Otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Can I take Augmentin as I always take that? Also about the Hicet DC, can u give me the generic name? Kindly see the picture that I m attaching.

#

Augmentin is Amoxicillin and Potassium Clavulanate. It a higher grade than Azithromycin.

If your fever is severe enough, then you can take Augmentin.

Hicet DC is Cetirizine and Phenylephrine.

You can also have some expectorant like syrup Brozeet (Ambroxol, Guaifenesin, and Terbutaline) or Cheston (Chlorpheniramine and Dextromethorphan). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

No, I do not have a fever. It is just bad throat and a blocked nose. Also, I m having 1000 mg of Vitamin C every day.

#

If you are having throat pain then also you can take Paracetamol.

Else the above medications are enough.

|